Honored Contributor

Re: would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I think $65,000.00 for 10 minutes is grossly over paid. You don't have to agree ,but it doesn't change my mind. This came from someone who claimed not to care about money.

The college probably made that back, plus more, through the VIP meet & greet.

If they had no problem with the fee, and chose her from hundreds of speakers, why do you think it was too much money? The money, BTW, ALL went to the Foundation -, not to the speaker to keep personally.

Honored Contributor

Because it is. You have your opinion and I have mine

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Because it is. You have your opinion and I have mine

It's not like she kept the money and bought an Hermes bag with it.

In the USA, people make what other people are willing to pay them...it's free enterprise.

Honored Contributor

Look you are free to see it however you want, because I disagree doenst mean I am going to fight with you over it. It's not my style

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Cannot imagine what the speaker gets paid would have any bearing on whether one would go or not.

Agreed, however I could not stomach a speech by any member of the Clinton family, lol.

Respected Contributor

i remember the day when speakers of the prominent sort came for expenses only in order to support the charity, the university, etc.  bring back those days.  fine to soak private citizens -  but not charities and universities. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I still don't know what you people are talking about. Someone made a lot of money for a speaking engagement and it went to her foundation? What's the problem here?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

If someone made 65K for a speech - and turned around and found the cure for cancer - some people would STILL object!

Honored Contributor

A certain someone released his tax returns from the last thirty plus years today and they revealed that AFTER he left office he made most of his personal fortune from public appearances and speeches! Gasp!

Waiting for the outrage.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

A certain someone released his tax returns from the last thirty plus years today and they revealed that AFTER he left office he made most of his personal fortune from public appearances and speeches! Gasp!

Waiting for the outrage.

Another (young) guy got $800,000 for writing a book...no one bought it, but he got paid anyway. His friend put up the money to get it published and him paid. He overspent (a LOT) and needed cash in a hurry...so his friend, a billionaire - went to a local school, gave them money and in return his young friend got a no-show teaching job. Money problem solved...and he only had to show up and talk a couple times a semester.