Honored Contributor

Re: would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

It happened last year...it's old news just being drudged up on a slow news day.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't go to speeches. Events where 1 or more speak? Yes. The events that I attend are free events and no speaker is paid.

As for a speakers fee. If it is paid by the free market entity I have no problem with how much they are paid. If they are paid, even in a round about way, with taxpayer funds? With that I have a completely different view.

In my opinon, no speaker is worth a half or quarter million $$$$$ for a speech, but if private funds pay for it, to me that is what a Democracy is all about.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Not if the fee trickle down to me.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

It was a object for conversation no more, nor less. I think I am better equipped to know what I meant than either of you

Of course you are better equipped to know what you meant by your topic. But don't you think it's a good idea to share it with us so that we can post in some kind of intelligent way?

The point is, I've walked into threads like this before, posted my opinion to only the actual words in the opening post, only later to find out that there was a subtext I knew nothing about.

In fact, there is a long-time poster here (a different day, a different nic) who loves to start threads that sound like one thing but turn out to quite baiting. So that's probably the reason for my minor complaint, even though I bet that you certainly were not doing that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I don't spend my time checking up on how much people get paid. If I want to hear what they have to say, I'll go. If not I don't. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I should have left the fee out I guess.  I just wanted to know what people feel about this sort of money being given to a speaker .

Valued Contributor

If they are worth it (bring in the crowd), and I wanted to go -- why not?  I guess it depends on ticket prices.

We just went to see the Stones -- and paid dearly -- loved it -- would do it again and again. 

Anthony Bourdain is coming to town -- ticket prices are so-so -- but not making me want to go.

People need to be paid for their time and their ability to fill a room/stadium/theater.

Hey you, get off of my cloud...
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

What do you consider "grossly overpaid"?

The college didn't seem to think so...why does something that happened last year suddenly bother you?

Can you define "grossly overpaid" please?

Honored Contributor

I think $65,000.00 for 10 minutes is grossly over paid. You don't have to agree ,but it doesn't change my mind. This came from someone who claimed not to care about money.