Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

No but that is because I think it is ridiculous. If this is about who I think it is I have more of a problem with the $$$ going to someone who is clearly not in need of it while the cost of tuition etc at State colleges keeps going up. And so tax payers are once again paying the wealthy to stay wealthy. And the students and parents are footing the bill for this.

Many times the speakers just turn around and donate the fees back to the cause (minus their airfare and hotel expenses).

Our local State University has a speakers bureau that was funded by endowments. They have had everyone from Bill Maher, Trump, Bill & Hil (separate appearances), Eli Weisel, Salman Rushdie, Joni Mitchell, ALL kinds of people.

I went to see Soledad O'Brien a few years ago. She was so popular that they moved the speech to a larger auditorium.

Over all, no matter how much they pay speakers - the series is actually a money MAKER for the university...and a great source of publicity.

They usually have one level for tickets (students are free or greatly reduced), another to attend a luncheon or meet & greet (money maker for the foundation).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I sold cable advertising, we would often have "meet & greets" with the stars of the reality shows. At one point, Teresa got $35,000 for a 3 hour appearance (no speech - just posing for pictures and signing autographs).

The Jersey Shore stars got around $15,000 each for 3 hours.

One time I handled publicity for a Home & Garden Show - Steve from the original This Old House came - this was back around 1995 - he got $15,000 to give 3 presentations at the show - each was 30 minutes long, plus Q&A. He had a slide show.

Even Playmates get up to $20,000 for 3 hours. We had one come to a racetrack. Expenses were extra. She came alone, but ordered TWO bottles of champagne from room service and tried to get us to pay for a new dress at Lord & Taylor!!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, of course I would.  If I wanted to hear the speaker.....and I wasn't paying the speaker's fee. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Yes, of course I would.  If I wanted to hear the speaker.....and I wasn't paying the speaker's fee. 

Back in 2008, my late aunt and I went to hear a speech in a local auditorium given by a man who sometimes gets $250,000 and UP for a speech.

It was totally free...and mesmerizing!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't go to see speakers, so it's irrelevant. However, I do agree they are all overpaid. Just like athletes.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

No but that is because I think it is ridiculous. If this is about who I think it is I have more of a problem with the $$$ going to someone who is clearly not in need of it while the cost of tuition etc at State colleges keeps going up. And so tax payers are once again paying the wealthy to stay wealthy. And the students and parents are footing the bill for this.

This isn't exactly true. Usually the colleges have "Speakers Endowments" that foot the bill. It doesn't come out of tuition or school fees.

And often the speaker's bureaus make MONEY for the school, especially if they pick popular speakers.

Respected Contributor

I realize where the $$ is coming from that just seems like a lot when the $$ can go towards the school to benefit the school or the students. I have attended lectures here at our local colleges and I am sure the speakers were paid. (Annoyed that  I paid a couple of years ago to see Huckabee) That is my only problem if you could call it that with speakers. Hey they have a right to make $$ if it is going to a good cause ( like the buiding of schools in other countries or healthcare for the poor in other countries I have no problem with that.)

Esteemed Contributor

If it was someone I really respected and was anxious to hear their message based on their expertise, then yes, I would attend. All speakers get paid just as anyone else gets paid for a job. The more popular or important the person is, the more they get paid. I can think of several I would want to see in a heartbeat. I wish I could have seen Steve Jobs before he became ill and died.  On the other hand, I can think of maany I wouldn't cross the street to see. And that goes for so called entertainers as well. I flew to Las Vegas and bought VIP seats last summer to see the iconic Queen with Adam Lambert as front man. i never got to see Queen when Freddie was alive. It was well worth the trip and the expense.  Adam was perfect for that band and the 60 something band members have not lost anything over the years. Is there any other band I would do that for? Probably not, but it's all a matter of perspective.

Respected Contributor

Id go if the speaker was someone I wanted to hear. It's not anyone's business to know or judge what anyone else is getting paid. Worry about your own instead of someone else's financial status.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

If I were interested in hearing what the speaker had to say, it would not bother me in the least what he/she was being paid. (or what I paid to see him/her)