Honored Contributor

would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

I just read someone is getting $65,000 for 10 minutes. They are really no one special, in the greater scheme of things

I think speaking fees are way out of line

Honored Contributor

Re: would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

[ Edited ]

@cherry wrote:

I just read someone is getting $65,000 for 10 minutes. They are really no one special, in the greater scheme of things

I think speaking fees are way out of line

I've been to LOTS of community events featuring paid speakers - especially at university-sponsored events. I don't base my decision on what they are paid - that's between the speaker and the organization that hosts him/her. I have also been to some great events featuring VERY famous people who either gave the speech for free or donated their honorarium back to the group.

I base my decision on what I have to pay vs. my interest in the speaker/group.

Respected Contributor

If I wanted to see the speaker and didn't have to pay. The speaker might be giving a public speech and then spending more time with the people who paid the fee.
Respected Contributor

And, that may not even be true. Unless you read it on the speaker's check. LOL

Respected Contributor

It's a matter of who, when and where.  And sometimes what they are speaking about.  I would not go if it's a politician.  Might go for an author I enjoy.

Respected Contributor

No, especially if this was a charity who was paying him or her.

Trusted Contributor

Like terrier, I base it who I want to see. I'll tell you though, you may be surprised at what the going rate is for a public appearance by even a "nobody" in your eyes. An "author" let's say has to travel and receive accomodation. The fee may also include a dinner or private event with donors. It may even include a non-public speaking event.

$20k for a commitment to be at a certain place at a certain time with an entertaining "presence" is not out of line even for someone you may not consider to be "famous" . It almost doesn't matter if they speak for 10 minutes or 30 minutes - when all is said and done, they need to be paid and 100% of their expenses associated with that trip need to be reimbursed.
Respected Contributor

No but that is because I think it is ridiculous. If this is about who I think it is I have more of a problem with the $$$ going to someone who is clearly not in need of it while the cost of tuition etc at State colleges keeps going up. And so tax payers are once again paying the wealthy to stay wealthy. And the students and parents are footing the bill for this.

Esteemed Contributor

If I was interested yes, I would.
Respected Contributor

Cannot imagine what the speaker gets paid would have any bearing on whether one would go or not.