Honored Contributor

Re: women's figure skating

[ Edited ]

@151949wrote:

As I said on another thread - there is a young girl from Japan who is so beautiful and graceful.She makes triples look so graceful and effortless.IMO she should win the gold for sure.I've never seen a more graceful skater. 

I always thought Tara Lipinsky was great at making the triple jumps gracefully and getting in all the elements without looking like it was so difficult, but this Japanese girl is remarkably better than anyone I've ever seen.

@151949 

Tara Lipinsky always stayed in my mind as the most lovely graceful beautiful skater ever... she floated on the ice... and I thought of a beautiful butterflyl as I watched her leap and jump and turn.... flawless and breathtaking!

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Tara+Lipinski+Wins+Gold&&view=detail&mid=F508D4492EB901F01543F5...

Esteemed Contributor

@Cumbercookie13wrote:

This is why I prefer to watch ice dancing. It's more about the artistry and being in sync. Of course they're looking for technical things like lifts and spins, but it's not just focused on one particular aspect, like jumps with single skaters. It's very boring to see nothing a bunch of skating around and then jump, rinse, repeat. 

-----------------

I was just talking about that with a friend....jumps over lyrical choreography.  I also enjoy the skating events where there are two people.  They are more rythmic and expressive!!  And...just seeing those four knife-like blades so close together, it is a wonder that they don't get caught up in each other's skates!!

It does seem that the artistry of the single skating presentations are not as important as the how many and how high the skater can jump! 

Valued Contributor

I think the gold and silver medalists executed their jumps masterfully and artistically.   They were just beautiful to watch.  

Super Contributor

Yuzuru Hanyu & Yuna Kim, 2 of the very best figure skaters, have it all. Jumps & artistry/poetry in motion. That's what makes a gold medalist.

It's not all jumps it's artistry as well. These 2 are perfection!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

00336C6D-4D2B-4F08-9FEF-8FC1FC2B9E61.gifA598B040-D3CC-48B9-B41E-007661F4B6D8.gif

There is a skater (ladies) and I enjoyed watching her short program, even though she wasn’t able to complete her jumps. Her name is Alexia Paganini and the music from Phantom was wonderful.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

00336C6D-4D2B-4F08-9FEF-8FC1FC2B9E61.gifA598B040-D3CC-48B9-B41E-007661F4B6D8.gif

There is a skater (ladies) and I enjoyed watching her short program, even though she wasn’t able to complete her jumps. Her name is Alexia Paganini and the music from Phantom was wonderful.

@LTT1  I love the Phantom music, saw it on stage. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624, get ready for the “Quin” as in Quintuple in 2022, Lol!  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltreewrote:

Omg!  That was a total disaster for the Americans.  This isn't the old days and figure skating is what it is.  The problem is that the American skaters just were not competitive when it counted the most.  They choked, big time.    I got a little sick of hearing the commentators talk about how great they are and what amazing things they can do on the ice....and then all three come out and fall flat on their butts multiple times.  It was embarrassing and since all three were at the bottom, the USA has a long way to go in rebuilding.  But the women's hockey team got the job done!!!!!    

They were being kind.....  Unlike a lot of countries (especially Russia....) we have a lot of other sports to compete with.  So figure skating gets the short end of the stick. Not super popular.  Not even for girls. And there is still a stigma for boys in the sport. This US team was especially bad.  It's the lowest showing ever in te history of figure skating here.  And it's going to get worse. Perhaps the 2 Russians might inspire some little girls, but I doubt it. 

Trusted Contributor
I actually preferred the silver medalist to the gold, I thought she was very graceful, and I really liked the Japanese skater.
Do the math.
Honored Contributor

Even though it's more exciting (now-a-days), it's also very dangerous.  (For the skaters)

As I've said before, wish they (tv) would air ice skating/dancing and stick with that program.  Not jump around to other sports. 

I've only watched maybe only 1/10th this year. 

I'm wondering how the ratings are doing. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).