Esteemed Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

I talked to a Walmart manager yesterday to complain that they are getting rid of all live cashiers and going to all "Scan and Go" machines.  Sorry folks, but I don't want to scan my own groceries ... but that's another thread.

Anyway, this manager told me that Walmart is now paying higher wages to all their staff.  Because of paying higher wages, they will be hiring fewer staff in the future.  In order to pay their staff, the customers have to do self check-out.  

So, there you go.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen new stores opening up around town and surrounding areas. I was in the mountains in NC recently and it was wall-to-wall. I would say yes, we will be back to "normal" soon; some stores didn't make it but not sure it can all be attributed to COVID. It's very important to shop local as much as possible and support those small businesses. Malls were closing in our area long before COVID so I'm thinking they may be going in the direction of the strip malls. 

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I talked to a Walmart manager yesterday to complain that they are getting rid of all live cashiers and going to all "Scan and Go" machines.  Sorry folks, but I don't want to scan my own groceries ... but that's another thread.

Anyway, this manager told me that Walmart is now paying higher wages to all their staff.  Because of paying higher wages, they will be hiring fewer staff in the future.  In order to pay their staff, the customers have to do self check-out.  

So, there you go.

I believe it. The other week I passed a Walmart and there were numerous help wanted signs at the front of the store. On the signs it said the starting rate was $17.00/hour. 

Esteemed Contributor

Did the store manager att WM happen to mention all the tax breaks that the city gave them to move into that community?

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

IMO the small owned stores will never return just like the mom and pop business's disappeared.  I do not feel badly about the huge corporations that are going belly up or closing multiple stores.  They are the reason the mom and pop stores closed.

Everything has its hay day and mall's are no different.  If they do return it will be in the far future.

@Imaoldhippie Do you even realize the "trickle down effect" of "huge corporations going belly up"????? 

The thousands of jobs lost of those who work directly for those corporations?

The thousands of jobs lost of those who work for companies that "service" those corporations (office supplies/equipment/furniture, food, heating/air, repair techs, building maintenance, cleaning services, even the companies that supply their medical and business insurance)?

The list could go on and on, so please think about what you are saying. There are many, many people behind those corporate logos, and not all of them are wealthy company officers/executives!

Honored Contributor

@vermint .................I am aware of the trickle down effect.  And yes it is very sad that so many will be negatively affected.  However, so were the mom and pop's and independently owned stores when the big corporations took over.   I saw the small rural community where I am from turn into a ghost town when local business owners closed. I am well aware what I am saying.  Big corporations do not get my sympathy.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie What you say is true...but I seriously doubt that we will ever see "mom & pop" establishments as a majority of businesses again. We have to deal with now. It's just sad all around!

Trusted Contributor

I think Amazon is to blame. People want convenience and fast delivery instead of going out shopping and browsing the malls
Honored Contributor

@vermint ...........I agree the small business's will never return.  Some of the big corporations will be brought to their knees or go belly up.  Something new will spring up in their places.  There are too many business people that want our money to let retail slide down hill very long.  

It will take a while and who knows what it will be?  Not me, I dont have a business mind enough to even guess.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

The street in our town with stores and restaurants and bars is only about three quarters of a mile to a mile long. I can't think of one that is not a Mom and Pop, locally owned store. Every one has survived thank goodness. Don't know if they are looking for help but I probably would have seen that on the towns FB. 

The franchise stores are on the highway in the next town as is the newest outdoor mall. Next time I'm in that area I'll check for help wanted signs.