Honored Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

When one door closes another one opens. I believe that's true for shopping. I'll just find different places to shop and who knows, I might even like that even more.

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

My husband and I were out and about our town and saw so many small shops papered up with closed signs and we wondered if we can go back to the days when Saturday meant going to the mall and shopping non stop.  What do you think?happy saturday.gif

The Malls here are crowded and most are not even wearing masks.  Maybe it depends where you live?  I am in Florida and seriously except for a few still in masks, you would not know we had a Pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

There are so many people in the stores and the traffic is ridiculous.

I already miss the pandemic.

Before the barbeing able to get out again!age of attacks only being facetious

LOL   Not me I like the stores packed.  People are happy and enjoying being able to get out again.  

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I have no such fears about inflation. I see the latest news as rather promising. And although when it come to the economy, only a fool thinks he knows the future, I certaintly don't ascribe to the gloom and doom theory.

@suzyQ3   I agree and people focus too much on doom and gloom, and that is why they are unhappy.  Malls were in trouble before the Pandemic, but I am seeing more people going now.  I think they are so happy to be able to get out and live again.  

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@newname0  Things will never be the same... especially after a pandemic....as is with life in general....nothing stays the same.

I would not plan on Saturdays being shopping and eating like before. 

@SeaMaiden   Where are you at?  Things are booming in Florida.  

Esteemed Contributor

The pandemic hastened what already had been happening in retail. Those Saturday trips downtown with the whole family to shop in small locally-owned stores are nostalgic but rare. Covid sent us to our computers for everything, e.g. Zoom meetings to see family and to conduct work meetings. For many of us it meant buying everything via the Internet. From food to clothes, appliances small and large. Even cars! We certainly may return to brick and mortar stores for some purchases, but the convenience of comparison shopping in sweats at all hours will never be eliminated.

Trusted Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

My husband and I were out and about our town and saw so many small shops papered up with closed signs and we wondered if we can go back to the days when Saturday meant going to the mall and shopping non stop.  What do you think?happy saturday.gif

Saturday never meant shopping non stop for anybody I know.

There seems to be a lot of people who are eager to go on vacation.  So there's a lot of people with disposable income to spend.

Not just in the US either.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, stores and the vibrancy of downtowns will not come back in my area in eastern Nebraska.  Shop's that closed are gone forever, they said they have no plans to invest the money to re-open.  Rent is high and going up because the city and developers are hurting, so new stores are taking a new approach - pop up stores in existing business and malls.  The ones that are hanging on like restaurants and bars are still closing several days a week because they can't find staff.  Yes, everyone is flocking to the big box stores that were never shut down or threatened during the earlier days of the pandemic.  And all of those stores are located outside of our beautiful downtown.  Our city was the last one in the state to relax rules (masks, and including occupancy), we have only been "free" since the middle of May.  Just my take on my home town.

Honored Contributor

I shopped in our local mall when my girls were young, but have only been there once in the 8 years I've been retired.   That's not going to change; I don't need stuff, and am not a shopper, period.   

My dollars are mainly spent at my private owned grocery store, CVS, Dollar General, and Sheetz.  We have been trying to use up all of our restaurant gift cards thru take out orders.   I have not been pleased with my food from Bob Evans and Cracker Barrell.   

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I just can't believe some things I read here

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"