Honored Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

I guess we will have to take a wait and see approach.

Respected Contributor

I live in an urban area that is growing, and our stores and streets are busy again. A few places didn't make it; however, new ones are opening everywhere. Many people still wear masks, but they are certainly not staying home. I hope the sanitation regime stays as the stores (and restaurants) look so much cleaner. I'm still wearing my mask as quite a few places still have signs. The vaccine has given many people confidence to get out of the house, including me.

Honored Contributor

Yes it will.  Mall stores are closing en masse while small shops in downtown areas are returning.  It's a good trend.

Honored Contributor

Like Sooner, I'm wondering if there will be a lot of disposable income around in the future.  And inflation is fast becoming a factor in a budget. 

As an older American, I'm finding that I only shop for groceries and cleaning supplies on a regular basis.  Non-trendy style clothing seems to last quite a while with proper care.  I find myself eliminating more decorative household goods when I can, they're just dust-catchers.  I aspire to a simpler lifestyle that requires less accumulation of non-essentials.      

Honored Contributor

It is sad the drive past stores that are permanently closed. You know they are not coming back. 

The company that I retired from did not make it. It was in business for over 50 years. And it was doing very well when I retired. They had 50+ employees and 3 different offices when I retired.

Sad to talk to friends who worked for companies that went out of business. 

I worked for Disney in the past. They have closed 63 stores so far and plan on closing 10 stores every month. And Disney furloughed many castmembers at the Parks. Most of them have not been asked back and it doesn't look like they will be asked back. 

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

IMO the small owned stores will never return just like the mom and pop business's disappeared.  I do not feel badly about the huge corporations that are going belly up or closing multiple stores.  They are the reason the mom and pop stores closed.

Everything has its hay day and mall's are no different.  If they do return it will be in the far future.

What about the lost jobs?

Honored Contributor

I have no such fears about inflation. I see the latest news as rather promising. And although when it come to the economy, only a fool thinks he knows the future, I certaintly don't ascribe to the gloom and doom theory.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I loved going to the malls, stopping at shops that appealed to me at that moment.  Perusing racks, touching fabrics, seeing trends, trying on shoes, etc. brought me joy as a  teen and adult. I doubt things will go quite back to the largeness and variety we had but some store shopping will return.  I miss it greatly.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The fun mall experience we all remember is from pre-internet-shopping times. Malls and department stores were the only game in town for one stop shopping back then. 

As to downtowns and shopping streets, I think new small retailers will replace the old ones. I think towns should zone strategically to keep major chains out of certain areas (not all areas, of course, just certain zones. and probably with some exceptions). That can allow small boutique enterprises to flourish and attract customers.

Downtown Franklin near Nashville is like that and everyone loves to go there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@newname0  Things will never be the same... especially after a pandemic....as is with life in general....nothing stays the same.

I would not plan on Saturdays being shopping and eating like before.