Honored Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

Where I live, many shops and resturants are ready to open full time, but they can't find anyone who wants to work.   They are advertising for help on TV commercials now.

I see help wanted signs everywhere, even on big billboards. It is a topic of concern in the local news.  Unless people are willing to go back to work, it is impossible for businesses to return.

I suppose if people run out of money, they will look for work.  I hope so.  I want to see us get back to normal...at least a better normal than we have now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

Where I live, many shops and resturants are ready to open full time, but they can't find anyone who wants to work.   They are advertising for help on TV commercials now.

I see help wanted signs everywhere, even on big billboards. It is a topic of concern in the local news.  Unless people are willing to go back to work, it is impossible for businesses to return.

I suppose if people run out of money, they will look for work.  I hope so.  I want to see us get back to normal...at least a better normal than we have now.

@Carmie, I think that's all over.  My daughter and son-in-law are in restaurant management and they're having a hard time finding staff.  

They said what's the point of being at 100% capacity when you can't find servers and bartenders that want to work.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter   I spoke to my niece yesterday.  She has three children and told me she got over $12,000 for her children recently. I  was in disbelief, then my oldest son told me he works with somone with several children and he got more than that.  

That money was in addition to the three stimilus checks.  My neice's husband works and has not been sent home because of COVID and my son's coworker has been working and not laid off as well, so they are not collecting unemployment.

I wonder how much people with children who are not working got....

Esteemed Contributor

The advance on Child Tax credits  was to begin in July, I believe.

It's a per child payment issued by IRS that is normally paid out at tax filing/refund time.

Maybe they are being paid sooner than expected.

Respected Contributor

Sure it will.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Unemployment is pretty low now. People are back at work. They found other jobs.

Working in any public facing job is just not as popular as it was. No one wants to risk disease for low pay and lousy treatment. And no one wants to be part of an industry can go away overnight. There's no security there. People were suddenly laid off while their employers received free PPP loans. It's hard to forget that betrayal, nor should they. I think it is great that they have found better jobs.

All jobs should come with a living wage. Otherwise there's no point to working that job if you are an adult who has to pay their way in life. It's not logical to work all day and then be unable to pay for the roof over your head and the food for your children.

I'd also mention that off the books labor has often been used behind the scenes at restaurants to maintain profits. Maybe they're not admitting they're having a hard time using that scheme these days.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

The employers in the retail and hospitality industries in my area are offering higher starting wages and health benefits to new employees.  According to an article in the local newspaper it is working.  Interviews with both employers and employees included positive comments.  Employers are able to improve customer service, and employees are coming closer to a sustainable living wage.     

Honored Contributor

People aren't going to work if they don't have to.  But some of us have to work to pay for them.

I have little taste for shopping now.  I was never big on it, but if I want something, I can compare online and get it without traipsing around town burning gas and time and then not finding what I want.

Light bulbs?  Buy online because there are so many choices you have to make.  Faucets?  Why not just order online?  Clothes?  Yep--buy what you need online, see reviews, get fit information (HATE trying on things in stores), know fabric content--just order them!  

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

The employers in the retail and hospitality industries in my area are offering higher starting wages and health benefits to new employees.  According to an article in the local newspaper it is working.  Interviews with both employers and employees included positive comments.  Employers are able to improve customer service, and employees are coming closer to a sustainable living wage.     

They are doing that where Iive too.  This month will be the end of unemployment benefits...no questions asked.  Everyone will have to be looking for work and documenting where they applied.  They will have to take the job if one is offered or they will lose their unemployment benefits.

Honored Contributor

Malls are busy where I live.  Smiley Happy Some people wearing masks some not.  Everyone seems to be happy to be out again