Honored Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

IMO the small owned stores will never return just like the mom and pop business's disappeared.  I do not feel badly about the huge corporations that are going belly up or closing multiple stores.  They are the reason the mom and pop stores closed.

Everything has its hay day and mall's are no different.  If they do return it will be in the far future.

What about the lost jobs?

@CelticCrafter You are right, and also the economic health of the country depends on corporations as does our place in the world economy.  Corporate haters are way off base in simply wanting them to fail.

If they do we are all in trouble. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Sometimes I just can't believe some things I read here

SMH too.

I've never been a recreational shopper. 

Why folks think hyperinflation will disappear soon is beyond me.

Honored Contributor

Regadless of what the future holds, Saturday hasn't meant all day, non-stop mall shopping for me in years... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

My husband and I were out and about our town and saw so many small shops papered up with closed signs and we wondered if we can go back to the days when Saturday meant going to the mall and shopping non stop.  What do you think?happy saturday.gif

@newname0 

Anyone else see warning lights here?   

What could you possibly be in need of that requires you to shop "non-stop"?

Although some obviously don't realize it, shopping can be a serious addiction.  Buying things you don't really need isn't a good thing, even if it's nice to see the stores open.

Honored Contributor

@hopi 

You took that "thought" right out of my mind today as I was going to do a couple errands & thought the same thing🙈🚘🚘

Roads and traffic was "pre-pandemic" and the "snowbirds" are gone so where did all these cars and people come from !

Valued Contributor

Malls were dying before Covid. Online shopping has been the popular way to shop for years.

I don’t think they’ll make a comeback.
Esteemed Contributor

I think some stores are gone for good and others are will be following. We went shopping in a bigger city yesterday, went to the mall. There wasn't much that caught my eye. We ended up going to Kohls and I did get a few pair of shorts and cheap t shirts. I just didn't see much that appealed to me, and usually my dh finds more than I do, and he didn't get one thing yesterday anywhere we went. 

The pickings seem very slim right now, in this area anyway.

Respected Contributor

I'm not much of a shopper but I am happy that things in my hometown are starting to look more like they did before.  We've been out to eat several times in the last few weeks and it was so nice to be with friends, enjoying a meal and conversation again.

Dh and I are planning a trip to NC and may continue on to FL to visit his cousin. We had also planned on flying to the west coast to visit our son but going to hold off on that and make a decision later in the summer.  In addition, I'm going on 2 weekend camping/riding trips with friends in the western part of PA.

I feel like things are starting to come back.  I also understand some things will never be the same.

Honored Contributor

I don't know.  I know that small businesses and restaurants were hurt badly by this and many will probably never come back.  It's very sad.  I prefer going to the mom and pop restaurants and shopping in person.  I am remaining hopeful but have to be realistic, too!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

One of our malls had already died and was turned into offices (until it burned down last year).  Our other mall was dying a long, slow death before the pandemic and there are more boarded up, closed stores than there are open stores these days.   It's usually full of walkers, not shoppers. 

Since I prefer shopping locally to shopping online, this makes me sad.  Some of my favorite shops won't open again.  I doubt that things will ever be the way they were before, but maybe it will be better some day?  Things will change.  It could take years but we've got to be optimistic!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt