Trusted Contributor

will it ever be this way again

My husband and I were out and about our town and saw so many small shops papered up with closed signs and we wondered if we can go back to the days when Saturday meant going to the mall and shopping non stop.  What do you think?happy saturday.gif

Super Contributor

Re: will it ever be this way again

I think it will eventually.  It's just going to take awhile. 

Honored Contributor

If we do, it will take years.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

after the big recession in 2008-2010 I thought the same thing traveling back to Florida west coast, where so many shopping centers and theaters were closed. They came back in a lot of places, but online shopping is too easy, and with fast deliveries from Amazon.  

Notice I didn't include QVC, in fact I just purchased Father's Day and Graduation presents but did not go to QVC, because I cannot trust getting the products on time.

Respected Contributor

As long as people continue online shopping habits established during the COVID months, the small stores will not return as they once were. They simply cannot pay rent, buy merchandise, and support employees and themselves with hit or miss sales. A constant cash flow is essential to keeping the doors open.

Honored Contributor

We have a huge mall here. Last time I went by the parking lot was packed.

Honored Contributor

IMO the small owned stores will never return just like the mom and pop business's disappeared.  I do not feel badly about the huge corporations that are going belly up or closing multiple stores.  They are the reason the mom and pop stores closed.

Everything has its hay day and mall's are no different.  If they do return it will be in the far future.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

There are so many people in the stores and the traffic is ridiculous.

I already miss the pandemic.

Before the barage of attacks only being facetious

Honored Contributor

We used to have family owned corner grocery stores then the super markets with lower prices and younger generations moving away they closed. Now convenience have taken there place.

It's unfortunate for children who learned money management, at least I did, since my allowance only went so far and at six years old, I didn't qualify for a credit card.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think people won't be having excess money to shop, and I think inflation is coming (judging from when inflation was rampant in the past), and I think there will be shortages of goods rampant.  More like Russia.

I think the whole model of this country has changed where we will not have what we had.