Trusted Contributor

Re: who lets deliveries SIT for a few days...

We bought the uv-c portable light from HSN and it's very convenient.  We assume it works.  Anyway we disinfect all the packages and mail with it plus the groceries.. I have gotten into the habit of wiping down bottles that go into the refrigerator and cupboard with alcohol wipes prior to putting them away and that probably will continue.  Most everything has a layer of dirt or dust much to my disappointment so not a bad idea going forward.

Honored Contributor

I sometimes let them sit. 

But what's crazy about me (lol) is, I have always worn disposable gloves and use an old steak knife to open boxes and package envelopes.

The boxes are filthy on the outside!  I don't even set them on my floor inside, I usually open them outside or make sure I have something down on the floor, if they do come inside.

My son was telling me a few days ago that they're saying you don't need to wipe everything down with Lysol or Clorox wipes.  I will continue because I have a lot of cannisters left and they do expire w/i the next year or two.

But he said they are saying it's (pretty much) purely airborne--which I've always thought anyways.

I am just so surprised that no one has said how important it is to wear some sort of eye protection.  I do whenever I go anywhere in public.  I'm not an eye glass wearer except for readers at home sometimes, but I always wear sunglasses or safety glass sunglasses.

I would feel so unprotected without them .

Honored Contributor

I did do this last winter, sprayed boxes,packages ,down waited a few days ,but stopped this summmer,as far as what dr.fauci has to say ,i tend to think he knows much more than any one on here.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

My BFF does. Her system is as follows:

BIG sign on the steps which lead up to her front door read: ALL DELIVERIES TO THE RIGHT ( a big arrow points the way) TO INSIDE THE GARAGE PLEASE. I CAN WATCH ON MY CAMERA. HIGH RISK. THANK YOU!

No issues. She has bins set up. They sit for 4-6 days then she wipes everything down with Lysol and then carries it upstairs to her kitchen.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

Not necessary to let them sit.  But your choice.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

We open our packages right away.

We used to let them sit for a day or two when this first started and everyone was giving different advice on what should be done. 

Honored Contributor

Nope.  I did this early on but haven't for months.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

No, we only wash our hands after putting away food or opening packages. They have learned a lot since the beginning of this pandemic. It is not necessary to go through the earlier routine. But certainly, if it makes anyone feel safer, then it's worth it.

Of course just the mention of the dreaded Dr. Fauci elicits critcism:

Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the National Institutes of Health. Since his appointment as NIAID director in 1984, Dr. Fauci has overseen an extensive research portfolio devoted to preventing, diagnosing, and treating infectious and immune-mediated diseases. Dr. Fauci also is chief of the NIAID Laboratory of Immunoregulation, where he has made numerous important discoveries related to HIV/AIDS and is one of the most-cited scientists in the field. Dr. Fauci serves as one of the key advisors to the White House and Department of Health and Human Services on global AIDS issues, and on initiatives to bolster medical and public health preparedness against emerging infectious disease threats such as pandemic influenza. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), which has already been responsible for saving millions of lives throughout the developing world. Dr. Fauci is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and has received numerous awards, including the National Medal of Science, the Mary Woodard Lasker Award for Public Service, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He has been awarded 38 honorary doctoral degrees and is the author, coauthor, or editor of more than 1,200 scientific publications, including several major textbooks.

Source: Harvard School of Public Health

Yeah....what does Dr. Fauci know??😁   I get my virus knowledge from politicians.  😵

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

I always open packages right away on the porch.   If anything is wrapped inside, I cut away the plastic.  Then I bring inside what was in it.  I have my trusty box cutter and my coat (if it's cold).  All I need.  The car stays in the garage.  No boxes.

Honored Contributor

Was I imagining it months ago (March, April, maybe?) that they did studies and disclosed how long (minutes, hours, days) the virus was still active on surfaces such as paper, plastic, metal, etc?

I know they backpeddled on the need for masks back then if you look at the online recommendations from the CDC, WHO and the US Surgeon General (who was going by the CDC recs).  

The info is all still there, if you want to go back and look.