Respected Contributor

Re: who lets deliveries SIT for a few days...

I do not do that.  I open and then wash my hands. 

Honored Contributor

No, we only wash our hands after putting away food or opening packages. They have learned a lot since the beginning of this pandemic. It is not necessary to go through the earlier routine. But certainly, if it makes anyone feel safer, then it's worth it.

Of course just the mention of the dreaded Dr. Fauci elicits critcism:

Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., is director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) at the National Institutes of Health. Since his appointment as NIAID director in 1984, Dr. Fauci has overseen an extensive research portfolio devoted to preventing, diagnosing, and treating infectious and immune-mediated diseases. Dr. Fauci also is chief of the NIAID Laboratory of Immunoregulation, where he has made numerous important discoveries related to HIV/AIDS and is one of the most-cited scientists in the field. Dr. Fauci serves as one of the key advisors to the White House and Department of Health and Human Services on global AIDS issues, and on initiatives to bolster medical and public health preparedness against emerging infectious disease threats such as pandemic influenza. He was one of the principal architects of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), which has already been responsible for saving millions of lives throughout the developing world. Dr. Fauci is a member of the US National Academy of Sciences and has received numerous awards, including the National Medal of Science, the Mary Woodard Lasker Award for Public Service, and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He has been awarded 38 honorary doctoral degrees and is the author, coauthor, or editor of more than 1,200 scientific publications, including several major textbooks.

Source: Harvard School of Public Health

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If we can't get Covid from touching things, why are we constantly told to wash our hands and use hand sanitizer?

From the CDC:

"It may be possible that people can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads. CDC recommends cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces and frequent handwashing or the use of hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol as best practice measures for prevention of COVID-19 and other viral respiratory illnesses."

"There is still a lot that is unknown about COVID-19 and how it spreads. Coronaviruses are thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Although the virus can survive for a short period on some surfaces, it is unlikely to be spread from domestic or international mail, products or packaging. However, it may be possible that people can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

"Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after accepting deliveries or collecting mail

• After receiving your delivery or bringing home your takeout food, wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
  • After collecting mail from a post office or home mailbox, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol."

I'd rather be safe than sorry and know I did all I could to avoid getting ill.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We err on the side of caution.  It is odd to me that people think wearing a mask is all it takes but handle a package.  

I am taking no chance on getting something off a package that someone sneezed or spit on just before it came to my house. 

And you couldn't pay me enough to eat out now or do carry out.  

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If we can't get Covid from touching things, why are we constantly told to wash our hands and use hand sanitizer?

From the CDC:

"It may be possible that people can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this isn’t thought to be the main way the virus spreads. CDC recommends cleaning and disinfection of frequently touched surfaces and frequent handwashing or the use of hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol as best practice measures for prevention of COVID-19 and other viral respiratory illnesses."

"There is still a lot that is unknown about COVID-19 and how it spreads. Coronaviruses are thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Although the virus can survive for a short period on some surfaces, it is unlikely to be spread from domestic or international mail, products or packaging. However, it may be possible that people can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

"Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer after accepting deliveries or collecting mail

• After receiving your delivery or bringing home your takeout food, wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
  • After collecting mail from a post office or home mailbox, wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use a hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol."

I'd rather be safe than sorry and know I did all I could to avoid getting ill.

@Porcelain 

We are told to because it is a new virus and no one knows everything about it. Everyone should be used to looking at the careful wording officials use. “May be possible...” means no one really has a clue. It may or may not be possible. Better to be extra safe than not & find oneself infected. It is pretty simple to wash one’s hands.

Valued Contributor

I put all mail in the microwave for 2 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I take normal ordinary precautions but I think this is overkill. 

Honored Contributor

Smart!   I leave my mail untouched for a couple of days.

Non perishable foods, too, on my closed-in and locked porch. 

I let everything air out.  

Then after bringing it indoors, I wash my hands thoroughly in sudsy soap bowl. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I take normal ordinary precautions but I think this is overkill. 

I agree that it's overkill.  If a person feels better doing it, though, then it doesn't harm anything. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@ProudMa - Much to my family's facetiousness, I still "quarantine" anything that comes into our home. Paper mail and boxes sit overnight, and anything plastic, including QVC bags, gets 3 days.  Smiley Happy