Honored Contributor

Re: who lets deliveries SIT for a few days...

I open packages in the mud room/laundry room right away.  I do the same with the mail.

As far as groceries, I have been wiping things down before I put them away.  I started doing that with Covid, but now I think it just makes sense.  A lot of peoplel touch those packages.  

Honored Contributor

No, I open the box, put whatever it is away, throw the box downstairs to be burned, then wash my hands.   

My husband brings the mail in, hands me the bills and shredible stuff, puts the girls mail in their room, then washes his hands.  I open the mail, shred, put the bills with the checkbook, and wash my hands.

I also do not wipe grocery items off before putting them away.  I handle them, then wash my hands.

Hospital inservices on standard precautions and hand hygiene just stay with you forever.    

Honored Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

It's a fine line between cautious and paranoid.

@zitawins 

Then again, this is a new virus and much is unknown about it. Months ago, health experts said that, if we feel like we are going overboard with all the safety measures, we are probably doing the right amount of them and not getting infected.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Too cautious.  Dr. Fauci said that it isn't necessary to sanitize mail or packages..........if that is important to you.

If it makes you feel better, then do it.  I don't, but did at first until I read what Fauci and several other "experts" said.

@tends2dogs I don't listen to him, and we almost always let them sit at least a day.  IF it is something we need to open, we don gloves and mask, open the outer container and if needed wipe off the item with wipes.

Why wouldn't you?  People being stuff to the door unmasked and without gloves--and all that stuff they handle?  

@Sooner   I don't listen to him either.  I happened to read it on the internet (so of course it is true LOL ).      I don't wipe anything down that comes in the house.  We have sanitizer by the door, in our cars, and I carry handy wipes and wipe down tables in restaurants.  I also carry a handy wipe in my hand while grocery shopping.  We don't wear gloves.  We wear masks and social distance.  That is what we practice.  It is second nature now......

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

It's a fine line between cautious and paranoid.

Not on these boards....

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

not me, living on the edge.

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa 

Personally - that's too cautious.  But, your circumstances are probably very different from mine.  

You have to handle things the way you believe is best for your and your family.  

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs  But why wouldn't you think delivery people have the virus and are shedding it on what they bring to the door, and what is in the truck with them?

We are very cautious about that.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@tends2dogs  But why wouldn't you think delivery people have the virus and are shedding it on what they bring to the door, and what is in the truck with them?

We are very cautious about that.  

It has been determined that the virus is transmitted through dropplets in the air not surfaces.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, because I sometimes see the delivery people coming up to the house and I can see they don't wear masks to contain any virus. The mail carriers don't either. They could easily accidentally get germs all over the envelopes and packaging without realizing it.

I tend to leave mail like catalogs for a few days before looking at them, with the exception of bills. With packages there's usually a reason to open them right away, so I am careful when opening and use a disinfectant wipe on the surfaces of any items I need to handle immediately. When it's reasonable I let the package contents sit a few days.

I still wipe down the outsides of groceries (not bothering with produce or anything that will be washed or cooked anyway) because I don't know the health status and habits of the person who picked them for us before we get them at curbside pickup. I want to feel comfortable just grabbing whatever from the pantry or fridge without thinking about it.

I prefer being cautious all at once and cleaning things off when they come into the house, rather than constantly washing my hands and avoiding touching my face when I'm at home. It's more fun and productive to be uptight for a few brief seconds and then feel relaxed the rest of the time.

And I trust Dr. Fauci very much. He never said not to take precautions above and beyond the bare basics.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr