Honored Contributor

Re: when you have given up on yourself

[ Edited ]

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

You haven't completely given up or you wouldn't  have posted so that's a good sign. Go back to your Dr & discuss getting a different medication & therapy...my guess is the reason for your depression goes beyond covid. Get in the mindset that your only job is to self care, you deserve to be happy & find peace. I wish you all the best, do the same for yourself @gellen.

Respected Contributor

While getting or fostering an animal is a great suggestion, if you aren't able for whatever reason, try the exercise suggestion.

Exercise can mean a host of different things.  In this hot weather, I prefer to stay indoors.  I can do a one-, two-, three-, up to a five-mile walk with a stretch band for resistance.  It's called Walk At Home with Leslie Sansone.  The CDor DVD set runs about $30.  It will give you a variety of moves that can be done in a little space without moving furniture.  [ 1 mile runs approx. 15 mins. including the warm up / cool down components of Walk at Home ]

At almost 76, I cannot do anything that is floor-based: hard time getting up.  If a particular move ( they are very short episodes ) is too hard at first, she gives you an alternative that will keep your heart at the same rate.

At worst case, my doctor tells patients to just keep walking around a table or basement to get moving.  Now that I think about it, I remember my best friend's dad used to count his steps daily as he walked the perimeter of his basement !

HTH and gets you started !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@gellen Unfortunately, friends and family are not always the most supportive when they have a family member suffering with mental health issues.  There's the old 'snap out of it,' attitude, often displayed, with those experiencing depression.  

The only people who really get it, are those who have suffered themselves.  It can be quite hurtful for those trying to recover, without feeling that others understand and have their back. 

I'd recommend talking to your doc and/or therapist to review your treatment plan, and meds, but also to ask about support groups, either online, or one that could be managed safely in person.  People are there who WILL give you support, when your family won't.  You'll also find out you're far from alone with your struggle. Give them a chance. 

Giving up, is a sign that your depression is not yet controlled.  This isn't your fault, it's just the nature of the illness and unfortunately you also have COVID to interfere.

It's going to take time. Our current situation will change.  You can, too, but you can't let things stall you out.  You must do some work, too.  You've received some excellent ideas here. Pick whatever you think might help.  Start a routine and push yourself to stick with it.  It will be SO hard and exhausting, but you can do it. One step at a time.

There are some very caring folks on this site.  Remember, such people still exist Woman Happy.  Best to you and keep us posted.   

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@gellen   I am praying for you.  Please stay on your meds, and I'm glad you have turned to medical experts for help.

Just some suggestions...they may not pertain to your situation, but perhaps they will lead to some ideas;

1  You say you have extended family - do any of them live close?  If so, can you get together and still be socially isolated and distant?  Perhaps outdoor visiting.

2.  Are you keeping in touch with friends via phone email zoom or facebook.  Now may be the time to reach out to long lost friends

3  Do you have hobbies?  If you like to read, can you join a zoom book club?

4  Can you reach out to neighbors?  Even talking over the backyard fence in interaction with another person.

5.  Exercise.  You will feel better physically and mentally.

Good Luck and keep in touch with people on this forum also.

@Travone ....excellent advice.  I am praying for you also, @gellen .  I think many of us feel so different with all that is going on in the world. 

We just have to take one day at a time.  If you are watching too much news, ...back away from it. Sometimes that, in itself,  can be so depressing.  Surround yourself with the Bible and pray and we will be here for you also.  Watch some movies that make you laugh.  Laughter is good for the soul. ((HUGS)).....

This will pass.  NEVER GIVE UP!!!  STAY STRONG!!!  HAVE FAITH, NOT FEAR!!!  

Honored Contributor

I really do feel for you, times are just so tough emotional now, had depression for a long time, the way things are in life does make it worse, my saving grace is my two dogs,i need them,as much as they need me.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

Call or text the depression hotline in your area. Google can help you find the numbers.

Valued Contributor

@Cakers3 you’ve given her some great advice. You said everything I was thinking......@gemcd besides what cakers said, I’d just like to add to please NEVER think you are a burden to anyone, as someone here suggested you may be to your family. You are NOT a burden. You are a good, worthwhile person who is going through something right now and who deserves a happy, wonderful life. Your family needs to be more understanding. Please know that so many people here care about you and want you to be well again. Remember we are always here for you. I wish you the best. 🙏🏻♥️🌹
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sometimes with serious depression, you may say things to people ,act a way that they just do not understand, i know that is true with me, and they get angry with you, and you get hurt that they do not understand.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.