Esteemed Contributor

Re: when did shoes become "kicks"?

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Johnnyeager   LOL  Don't put Baby in a corner! 

I use slang anytime -- especially to embarrass my millennial son.

what she said!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

No one over 30 should ever use the term in place of "shoes".  

So I think everyone here is safe.

Are you kidding?   My parents came from a jazz background and used  that slang ... way, way back then.   There are songs in that era referring to "kicks," ... one in particular by Nat "King" Cole ... "get your kicks on Route 66."

I've used it off and on pretty much my entire life ... my kids got it from me, lol ...

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Are you kidding?   My parents came from a jazz background and used  that slang ... way, way back then.   There are songs in that era referring to "kicks," ... one in particular by Nat "King" Cole ... "get your kicks on Route 66."

I've used it off and on pretty much my entire life ... my kids got it from me, lol ...

That "kicks" has a different meaning than the kicks word for shoes.

Honored Contributor

Kicks ??   I have never heard that word when it comes to shoes or sneakers.  But I don't have any tweens or teens in my house.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Well ... maybe.   But we interpreted it both ways ... Nat Cole was a friend of my father ... he knew of what he was singing ... Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Well ... maybe.   But we interpreted it both ways ... Nat Cole was a friend of my father ... he knew of what he was singing ... Woman Wink

Wow, @SoX!   Your father was a friend of the magnificent Nat "King" Cole!   How wonderful that must have been.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

First thing I think of when I hear ‘kicks’...the song,
Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People

Such a dichotomy between the toe-tap melody & lyrics/video.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Wow, @SoX!   Your father was a friend of the magnificent Nat "King" Cole!   How wonderful that must have been.

@dooBdoo 

They actually went to high school together and played in the jazz band (not marching) ... long before I was just a twinkle in my father's eye.   To hear my father tell it, they lived about two blocks from each other, in what is currently known as "Bronzeville."  They both played piano ... of course my father never made it big time, but he always had his friends in our house playing jazz, back then.  

To elaborate on @SilleeMee 's post ... in the early 30s to late 40s, some African American men, in order to make ends meet, would have to walk from town to town in order to find work ... hence, "kicks on the highway," to those who understood what that meant.

Honored Contributor

I am 63. I’ve only heard the slang “kicks” in probably the last two months. 

I am so NOT a slang person. I feel ridiculous saying most slang words.  No reflection on anyone who uses slang, it’s a self conscious thing for me. 

It took me a LONG time, LOL, to say 24/7. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

q