Honored Contributor

Re: what to i send to a very sick male friend

One of those fleece throws they sell here.  Comfy and cozy for him to snuggle with while he recovers and to use on cool nights when he is well again.  

Esteemed Contributor

As a few others have suggested, I'd contact his daughter and ask what you can do to help, or what he might need. It's pretty hard to suggest gifts without knowing the person, and perhaps the last thing he wants or needs are gifts....maybe he'd just like to hear from his friends or know that you have offered help to his daughter.

Honored Contributor

Wait until he's feeling better.  He'll appreciate anything more if that's the case.  He needs rest and more time to heal.  No one wants to be seen at their worst or when in pain.  I would feel this way. Daughter sounds pretty occupied for now too.  Give it a good week.

Respected Contributor

@lavendar, if he does like to read I would suggest audio books if he has a way to listen to those.  Since his surgical area involves his neck, he might not be comfortable trying to hold a book and read.  If he has a tablet or smart phone he could listen to an audio book to pass some time and take his mind somewhere else.

What a good friend you are!  Good luck with whatever you decide.  And best healing wishes for your friend as well.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

I usually make up care packages, including crossword puzzle books, good novel, magazine, etc.  Anything you think your friend might like.  Search online and you can also send some candy treats sold in his era and may be hard to find now.

It probably sounds dumb, the a friend of mine when she was sick (in another state) looked forward to receiving a care package from me after each surgery!  And she's said it meant so much to her that she's paid it forward as it's more meaningful that flowers.

Also a Comfy (sold on QVC) may be a big hit.  Gave two of these away and both friends were extremely happy.  In fact one of them when well would wear it when picking up her nephew from kindergrten:  so many guys use to come up and feel it, wanting to buy it - she told them QVC as it would be perfect for hunting (it was camo).

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you want to send some food that is easy to digest and swallow, you could send some soups. Goldbelly dot com has a selection of any kind of soup you can think of from restaurants all over the country and they deliver. Several delis offer get well packages with matzoh ball soup.

Respected Contributor

Started the cards today. I have some really good ones from a unique store near me. Sent an email saying he could call or email me any time. I'm up until midnight, People call me when they are really down or scared.

I think anything that would touch his neck would be iffy, A throw is a good idea. I'll start looking,

I am not in physical or financial shape to do much.I'll touch base with daughter when the dust settles.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Respected Contributor

You are a wonderful friend.  A nice, cozy throw is an excellent idea. It can be used in the hospital as the rooms there are always so cold - and then at home for years to come, and he will think of you whenever he uses it. 

My best wishes to your friend for a speedy, successful recovery Heart

Honored Contributor

A nice masculin looking throw and gift cards for food to be delivered.

A small plant with a more masculine look 

Definitely send the cards on a regular basis.

If he lives in his own space, pay for a housekeeper to come in a time or two and clean.

Offer to pick up groceries and other things he needs and drop them on the front porch, have him email you a list.

Anything his daughter is going to be doing for him, could you step in and do some of it (as appropriate) to free her up some and so she can do more intimate things he needs done (if that makes sense) without wearing her out. People rarely take care of the care taker.

Honored Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I would send the cards and if you can afford it you might have food delivered to the daughters' home for her family as it sounds like she is going to be really busy. It would be nice for her to get a break and I am sure he would appreciate you doing something nice for her.

That's a wonderful idea.