Honored Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

@mcducky wrote:

Having worked 20+ years in social services I  try not to fall prey to street panhandlers. (On occasion I do.)  While I’m sure some are truly needy most are dodging responsibility.  A caveat...some mentally ill people have a terrible  go of it and disability payments are not even subsistence living.  To truly help I donate to the local food bank directly.  

If I know someone is in need I anonymously drop money in their handbag or slip money into a coat pocket.  

I’m a true believer in helping the working poor.

@mcducky

I can’t agree that most are ducking responsibility.  Many ended up on the streets when mental hospitals were all but closed down, and many are veterans with head injuries or PTSD and/or substance abuse.

Super Contributor

I am a combat Veteran that worked with Vets....my experience and education are considered in my post.

Honored Contributor

@mcducky wrote:

I am a combat Veteran that worked with Vets....my experience and education are considered in my post.

@mcducky

HUD estimates that on any given night, almost 40,000 veterans are homeless.  

Honored Contributor

By the way, that research is from the National Coalition On Homeless Veterans.

Super Contributor

I am well versed in this issue.  I have worked many a stand down and helped many Vets in many different venues.  My comments are “in general” and I stand by them.  

Honored Contributor

@mcducky wrote:

I am well versed in this issue.  I have worked many a stand down and helped many Vets in many different venues.  My comments are “in general” and I stand by them.  

So am I.

Honored Contributor

The National Coalition For The Homeless reports that 20 to 25% of the homeless are severely mentally ill.

Esteemed Contributor

When I walk I see homeless people with children and dogs. The signs say need food and shelter. I wonder if these people are just con artists looking for an easy mark.

Also, I was watching a commercial about the Humane Society. There was a dog sitting by bowl and someone walked by and dropped money in the bowl. Next scene shows someone taking money out of the bowl while the dog watches.The bottom line was don't donate to the Humane Society because the majority of money goes to pay salaries and other expenses. Donate your money to your !ocal shelter. It was a powerful message. 

Honored Contributor

I donate to the charities that provide for the homeless but sometimes I will feel the generous side of my soul and give to the person on the street corner.I am almost sure the money is not used for food or shelter as those are readily available in our area.I remember the days when I didn’t have a cent in my pockets for emergencies or a drink on a hot day. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Perkup   i AM WITH YOU.  I did research, asked lots of questions and the street people with signs and the phone charities are scams.  We have lots of shelters here,Lots of legit organizations helping the homeless... this stand on the corner thing is not what it seems to be.  As for the phone calls.  They are NOT to be donated to.  POLICE, FIREMEN, VETERANS ...let them send a letter, not solicite by phone.