Respected Contributor

Re: what is the one thing you are a absolute sucker for

I donate for the homeless and displaced also, but a different way.

I make and donate crib size quilts to the humanitarian center of the church. 

They send quilts around the world to areas that have been hit hard by natural disasters, or to the homeless. 

There are lots of good programs around here that take care of the homeless.  Two brand new shelters, and they can get a good meal at a couple of places.  We have Veteran's outeach programs that provide warm clothing and sleeping bags.  These groups know where the homeless camp out, and they drive around and check on these guys and make sure they are ok.  They live outside by choice.

Honored Contributor

That sounds like a scene from the Great Depression.  I always give $5 to the homeless.  I'd rather give money to someone who truly needs some money to buy a meal or  bottle of water than assume that they all use the cash for drugs or booze.  I'm sure some to but $5 or $6 means nothing to me and it could mean the world to someone in need.  This time of year, I'm sucker for charities that provide toys to children in need.  I've donated toys to 6 charities so far.  

Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I guess I've become a skeptic about these things.  I have a hard time believing their "story".  In our area it's so common it seems like an excuse not to work and live off other people. I've seen one of them get into a  rather expensive car late in the afternoon.  Dubious about their authenticity.  I don't donate.  If I did, it would be in the form of a hamburger or ??? 

I'm also getting very skeptical of all the "charities" that call  each week to support the police, sheriff's office, firemen, etc.  There can't possiblly be that many charities for each one.  Overkill IMHO.

I continue to support those charities that pay smaller salaries to their CEO's, etc.  DH checked them out several years ago. You'd be amazed at how much goes for the execs and maintaining fancy offices.  

@Perkup I would rather give directly to I person or family I know and there are plenty struggling. That way none of the money goes to a CEO.

Respected Contributor

@KathyPet@The panhandlers in my area are a well organized business. They work shifts, get picked up and dropped off. They pool their money together, live together and have cell phones. A friend offered one a job and he replied that he could not pay him what he makes on the street. 

Respected Contributor

Wheatchick1, This might be a stretch in a thought pattern of mine, could these people belong to a theature guild and have to pass a test to do this so that they can prove convincing to acting school? I think that every time I seem them.

Trusted Contributor

@BeccaLou

That is INDEED a stretch. In this day and age no teacher would send students to do that. 

Valued Contributor

It was just on our local news where a man and woman go from store to store and stand out front asking for money.  They had video of them parking their SUV far away from the store and then going to stand in front of Walmarl.  Also they showed men in front of Walmart holding signs to help homeless veterans and they weren't homeless or veterans.  

Valued Contributor

I am a sucker for animals.

Super Contributor

I never give money as they go to the closest place for alcohol or cigarettes but I have given food after "sizing up" the situation.  Once I gave subway to a woman standing in a parking lot in the rain.  She thanked me and sat down on the curb and ate it immediately.  Same with a young man who I bought a bag of Del Taco.  Once I bought subway for a man outside a Wal Mart and he said, "thanks, I can now go home and eat."  Later, the greeter at Wal Mart said the guy makes his living panhandling and makes "good" money.  Once I offered food to a man outside a convenience store and he said he didn't like it so didn't want it.  The worst was a woman on the side of freeway entrance.  My son rolled down the window and said "Nice leather" as she had a new black leather jacket at her feet.  Next day she didn't have the jacket with her.

Many make their living doing this and make a "good" living, drive nice cars and live in nice homes.  They are clean, have clean clothes and clean hair and found their "spot" where you will see them "working" their corner to con money out of generous people.  Never give money... look carefully and then give food.  Same with pet food...it's another way to get people to give them money as it having their kids with them for sympathy. 

Social Services has emergency food, hotel vouchers, as does Catholic Charities, Salvation Army, and other charitable places.  

Honored Contributor

I’m like most who have posted before me.

I refuse to be an enabler by giving them money.

Just watch one episode of ‘Intervention’.

That’s an eye-opener. 

Lots & lots of money to buy lots & lots of drugs.