Trusted Contributor

I remember getting irked when having young bakery clerks refer to everything as a donut.  When I was young it was first called a bismarck, then a sweet roll, then a Danish and I think now clerks refer to them as donuts.  

What do you prefer calling the thing you eat with coffee today?  Is there a new name?

Honored Contributor

I'm kinda partial to almond bear claws..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Whatever I want, I call it what it is labeled in the counter.  I want to be sure to get exactly what I want. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: what do you call it?

[ Edited ]

Where I come from...those are all completely different things.  

A donut is round with a hole in the middle and made froma cake-like dough.  It might be plain, frosted with a glaze, rolled in powdered sugar, or rolled in cinnamon sugar, etc.  Donuts are usually fried individually, then frosted/coated.

A bismark has no hole.  It may be round or rectangular and has a filling in the middle and is made from a cake like dough.  It may contain a custard, or jam or jelly.  It may be frosted with glaze or plain.  Bismarks are usually fried individually, then stuffed, then frosted.

A sweet roll is often round (but sometimes square - depending on how they are cut).  They are baked in a pan (not fried).  It may be a rolled bread-like dough with cinnamon, maybe nuts put on the dough before it is rolled so you will find it throughout the roll once it is baked.  A pan of sweet rolls are baked together then frosted with a glaze when nearly cool and pulled or cut apart into individual rolls.

A danish is often a round roll - but may be rectangular - that is made of multi-layered dough (sort of like a puff pastry) to make it more flaky.  It is baked and frosted with a gaze frosting when nearly cool.  It may contain a fruit filling, but not necessarily.  

They would all be found in a typical bakery case but each is different and has its own name.

I like a good donut, or a custard filled bismark, or a carmel pecan sweet roll.  I am not so much into danish, but would not turn down any of them with a good cup of coffee.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newname0 wrote:

I remember getting irked when having young bakery clerks refer to everything as a donut.  When I was young it was first called a bismarck, then a sweet roll, then a Danish and I think now clerks refer to them as donuts.  

What do you prefer calling the thing you eat with coffee today?  Is there a new name?

never remember hearing the word bismarck.

a sweet roll, a danish, and  donut are all three different items to me. have not really heard anyone mix up those terms.

a donut has a hole or not if it is filled and is traditionally linked with coffee because people like to dunk them......hence the business name "dunkin donuts.".....remember when the plain dunkin donut had a little " donut handle" on it?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have no clue what a Bismarck is and I have called a roll a roll but never a sweet roll. A roll would be eaten with dinner.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Havarti: Maybe it's a regional term, but I have never heard of a bismark. What you've described sounds like what's called a paczki in my neck of the woods. Learn something new everyday! 

Honored Contributor

if a bismark looks like this (from what you have described), we call them logs or long johns...... they can be topped, filled, or topped and filled.

maple bacon log.jpeg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

A bismarck is a round fry cake.....usually filled with custard, or raspberry jelly, and topped with icing, powdered sugar, or granulated sugar.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

If it's a donut, eclair, cinnamon bun, glazed croissants, danish, or bismark is what I order.  Everything is not a donut.