Honored Contributor

Re: what are you paying for eggs?

Get eggs from next door neighbor who has chickens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia 

I buy from local farms too. I like seeing the hens who provide my eggs running around free. To me, even a dollar an egg, $12 a dozen, seems reasonable to me. I pay around $4 a dozen, that's only 35 cents an egg. Six dollars a dozen is only 50 cents an egg. Compare that to name brand cereal. 

Honored Contributor

I pay a little over $5 for a dozen brown eggs from a local farm.  I stay away from cheap eggs. 

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Buying cheap eggs supports the mistreatment of hens. It keeps them confined in small wire cages, their feet never touching the ground, never seeing the light of day.  I would pay $10 a dozen for eggs and consider it a bargain to end this shameful treatment.

I've heard the terms "cage free" and "free range" are deceptive.  The hens may be out of a cage, but still bunched up, standing in feces, and with no access to the outdoors. Or perhaps there's a small opening in a wall, but very few chickens will ever leave the coop where they are warehoused.  

@JeanLouiseFinch - Yes, it's a good idea to look for either the "Certified Humane" or "Animal Welfare Approved" seals on the carton to ensure humane treatment.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eggs were going up in our area before there was any mention of the bird flu. A carton of 18 eggs was $4.10 a few days ago...store brand. The cage-free and other designer-type eggs were $5-$6.99 a dozen or in some cases, 18 eggs. We use a lot of eggs so we feel the increase.

Trusted Contributor

At our Costco the 24 eggs are over $5. I don't have space in my side x side fridge for the flat of them or would have been buying them all along 

Honored Contributor

I don't know for a fact but I would price has a lot to do with how far you are from a major egg-producing area.  We aren't that far, so I assume we might be less affected than some.

Fuel costs an awful lot now, and it may be difficult to get workers in the cleaning and packing end of things. 

Frequent Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@MezzieStarr   I don't know that I've ever seen eggs at Aldi's for $.89 ever and I've shopped there for many years in different cities in Ohio. I don't buy regular white eggs anymore, haven't for years. I do buy organics and have been at Aldi's for a few years now, I believe they're $3.99 or so. Honestly I really don't know nor care really, I buy eggs every week, organics or heirlooms when I see them. I've paid as much as $4.99 for eggs anywhere I shop, not only Aldi's. 

Yes, eggs at Aldi..early April were below $1..two weeks later w ere $1.99.

Pass!  They can sit there.

Have a few left from early April buy!

Have found alternative for breakfast.

Esteemed Contributor

We bought chicks last October and get 7-8 eggs per day  so yummy, I'll never eat grocery store eggs again.

Respected Contributor

We have many farms with chickens in our area so they are not that costly.  Under $2.00 doz. Last time we bought.