Honored Contributor

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhh....

They were going to ditch it!!!!!!  It's a stupid clock, not a national treasure!!!!

Honored Contributor

A clock that uses a battery,is not a old clock, old clocks have keys that you use.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: what a find

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

MY GOSH ,they were going to throw it out, the op saved it , nothing wrong with her taking it ,would you be pleased if it had been trashed?

The point is that it should not have been replaced.  And there was no "they" involved. A new manager arbitrarily decided she didn't like it.  The OP knew what the woman did was wrong, she took the clock anyway, and said all she cared about was that she now owned the clock.

It wasn't broken and should not have been discarded.  The OP isn't the one who made that call, but she knew it was wrong and then she gloated because she had benefited from it.  I think that's what some of us have a problem with.  

Yes, it's just a clock.   But someone's money (not the OP's and not the woman's)  was being unnecessarily wasted because a new clock was purchased to replace a perfectly good one.  This wasn't someone's random private office - It's a library, where funds need to be properly accounted.  And if it's done for "just a clock", then it's likely there are other liberties being taken as well.  I don't see this as a simple discussion about a clock.  It's about doing the right thing.  And this was wrong.

(The OP clearly was aware of that because she wrote, "I don't think she knew what she was doing and I am not going to say anything".)

Respected Contributor
They were going to TRASH IT. If somebody else wanted it. What the heck. They gave her the clock because they considered it TRASH. I am glad she got it and likes it. Holey Moley. Moving on now.
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"Does anyone really know what time it is?" - Chicago

@deepwaterdotter Smiley LOL

"Time to Move On" - Tom Petty

"Too Much Time On My Hands" ~ Styx  

" Right Time Of The Night"    Jennifer Warnes

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan   I understand what you are saying, but what would be the right thing to do?  Report the manager? Too whom and for what reason?

Perhaps the clock does not keep perfect time.  After 36 years it probably doesn't.  In a library, someone would have to get a ladder and climb up onto fix the timing...maybe a few times a year.  Doubtful they want someone to do that. They already have to replace the battery about once a year.

it costs more to fix clock than it does to buy a new one.  I collect antique clocks and watches.  I am fortunate that I have a BIL that can fix them for me.  If not, I would not be able to afford to collect them.  They would probably be in the dump.  Nothing in my collection runs on a battery.

i agree that public employees should not be replacing things, tossing things and giving things away without permission.  We do not know the back story of why this clock was being replaced.  

The manager apparently got a new clock for some unknown reason and was throwing the older one out.  I guess the OP should have waited until it was in the dumpster, then retrieved it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@NYC Susan   I understand what you are saying, but what would be the right thing to do?  Report the manager? Too whom and for what reason?

Perhaps the clock does not keep perfect time.  After 36 years it probably doesn't.  In a library, someone would have to get a ladder and climb up onto fix the timing...maybe a few times a year.  Doubtful they want someone to do that. They already have to replace the battery about once a year.

it costs more to fix clock than it does to buy a new one.  I collect antique clocks and watches.  I am fortunate that I have a BIL that can fix them for me.  If not, I would not be able to afford to collect them.  They would probably be in the dump.  Nothing in my collection runs on a battery.

i agree that public employees should not be replacing things, tossing things and giving things away without permission.  We do not know the back story of why this clock was being replaced.  

The manager apparently got a new clock for some unknown reason and was throwing the older one out.  I guess the OP should have waited until it was in the dumpster, then retrieved it.

Why?

I assume the manager is grown, and mentally sound enough to do her job.

@shortbreadlover  didn't steal anything, she took what was given to her. I assume the manager KNEW the bounds of her job and what is/isn't appropriate, why should OP come behind her and second-guess her? Thats absurd.

Good grief!

Honored Contributor

No one appreciates being told how to do their job, what they should or shouldn't do. The manager had made the decission to replace the clock and had already ordered it's replacement.

Esteemed Contributor

Yay for you, @shortbreadlover ! I'm glad you saved that clock from the trash.

Funny how different people percieve things.

Trusted Contributor

yes it is funny how people perceive things.

i was not gloating.  i was just thrilled with the clock.  i was glad that it did not end up in the landfill.

ass for what the manager did not did not do, that was none of my concern.  i tookit forgranted that the person knows the rules of how to deal with issues that come up and followed the rules.