Honored Contributor

Re: we've lost Mary Tyler Moore

She was pioneer in the world of television.  I believe she was the first single career woman on tv....and she was happy and content being single.  She wasn't marking time until she snagged a husband.  I wanted be her!!!!   I wanted that life, the cool clothes, the apartment the job and I imagined that drove a snazzy little sports car.  I grew up in middle class in a nice little town where only encountered married women or single women who wanted to be married.  So, when a girl the Mary Tyler Moore show showed me a whole new world.   She also did great work for the JDF.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

It's such a shock to me because she went so quickly.  

I know she's had health issues and batled them, but I didn't know she had been hospitalized and then this.... 

Val Harper was all over the news a while ago about her grave condition and I guess she's doing okay?

Oh my, Mary Tyler Moore was just such a sweetheart.  She wouldn't hurt a fly, literally.  She loved her animals, she loved life--period.

She had been on a vent(illator) for a week.

They called her family in so that they could say good-bye.

We only heard of her being in the hospital when she was close to the end.

It wasn't quick at all. MTM had type 1 diabetes since her 30's - that causes a massive number of health complications. But she fought on !

Respected Contributor

as i see news clips aired today from the MTM Show in particular, it is amazing how well that show holds up 30 some years later -  and what a great model Mary's character was for women in the workplace.  the 70's were when a lot of us were embarking on major careers in all fields and plowing new ground.  great show - great acting - just a classic.

Respected Contributor

Sad News again. I really liked MTM, she was a very special woman to me when I was growing up. It was like she never aged. I knew she had Type 1 diabetes and always wondered how she did it. My father had Type 1 and died at 57. There are so mnay complications with this awful disease. Rest In Peace Sweet Mary.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very sad news.  I just recently saw (on TV) Mary and Ted Danson, Christine Lahti in a retro movie, (maybe filmed in the late nineties).   Excellent movie.  Excellent actress, as well as other wonderful attributes.   The name of the movie is 'Just Between Friends'. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

I remember so well, she said, (no exact quote) something to the effect that "I have learned that it is OK to just be" - sometime in the 1980's, I think, after she had worked and attained very much, at some significant personal toll.  I'll never forget that.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to Hear.  I know she had diabetes.  I enjoyed her as a child in "Thoroughly Modern Millie". 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Image result for Mary Tyler MooreLit Candle Flower!

Related image

~A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words~