Honored Contributor

washington monument in baltimore......200 year old time capsule discovered

they have been doing restorations on the washington monument in baltimore. they recently discovered a 200 year old time cornerstone with a time capsule buried inside the base of the monument. hints and artifacts of our history from 200 years ago!

The stuff inside proved not to be much of a surprise once the cornerstone, located about six feet below grade on the monument's northeast corner, had been found. Written documents from the period of construction noted that an engraved copper plate, a sealed glass bottle containing a likeness of the first president and his second inaugural address, as well as several local newspapers and the different U.S. coins had been included.

story:

http://www.baltimoremagazine.net/2015/2/18/200-year-old-washington-monument-time-capsule-opened#

/></p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Re: washington monument in baltimore......200 year old time capsule discovered

Wow !!!

What a find ! I hadn't heard this.

Thanks !

Honored Contributor

there is also an excellent article in the baltimore sun online about it.....but i cannot post the link because of the initials b-s in it. you may want to look at that article also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

That's exciting. Wish I could see it in person.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Respected Contributor

pretty awesome........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

Very cool. Boston found one this year too when they renovated the State House. It was placed there originally by Paul Revere and Samuel Adams.
"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

That's so cool. What a find.