Trusted Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Boy, you certainly run into a lot of interesting things when you're out and about! I'm surprised there wasn't a dog there trying to vote!

Esteemed Contributor

@Phantom41 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Boy, you certainly run into a lot of interesting things when you're out and about! I'm surprised there wasn't a dog there trying to vote!

laughing.png

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

There are counties in Florida that don't even have computers as yet - they still use the paper ballot. In our county we still use a paper ballot but we insert it into a machine that reads it and counts it before we leave.

Had this woman just cooperated and given the judge her absentee ballot as he asked her it would have all been over. But she would not do that. I wonder if her intention was to disrupt the voting process all along.

At first you seemed to feel sorry for her, now you think she was up to something, what changed?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 I apologize in advance if this has been asked and answered but approximately how old was this woman?

And sorry eta did she seem in control of herself of did she seem a tad incoherent as I know you are a nurse and would recognize this immediately.

Trusted Contributor

Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

That's very strange.  I live in Nevada and went to early vote.  One lady next to me was there also and according to the computer, they said she requested an absentee ballot.  She didn't so, but they said maybe her husband did for her.  They told to destroy the absentee ballot when she got home.  They allowed her to vote.

Honored Contributor

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

So they allowed her to vote and then she could go home and mail in her absentee ballot as well. Humm.

Valued Contributor

I just saw this on philly dot com. I used to live in this town (Norwood,PA) and was the Judge of Elections in our Precinct.

----------------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania state police have raided a Delaware County political field office seeking evidence of possible voter-registration fraud, according to court records.
In a warrant filed late last week in County Court, investigators said they were seeking documents, financial information, and lists of employees at the Norwood office of FieldWorks LLC, a national organization that often does street work for xxxxx, (records show. ( I xxxx out one word)

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

So they allowed her to vote and then she could go home and mail in her absentee ballot as well. Humm.

There's no humm there.  If she mailed in an absentee ballot after voting in person, the absentee ballot would be voided.

Funny, when I vote, I never run into these kinds of situations.  We go and sign in and vote.  Is it a Florida thing?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Esteemed Contributor

In Ohio, if you request an absentee ballot it is assumed you will vote by that method.  And yes it is recorded that you have recieved your ballot.  Should you choose to show up in person, you will be given a provisional ballot.  Provisional ballot are not counted untill such time they are verified as valid i.e. absentee not used. 

This elderly lady seemed very confused.  It is a shame someone could not be there for her.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Our family tradition is that the three of us get together (last Sunday, this year) and go over everything on the ballot.  We do not always agree.

This year there were so many propositions etc it went on and on.  I was exhausted by the time we were through with it.

DH mailed them in that night so they would go out for the morning pickup.