Honored Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

@bri20 I read that too. I can't imagine she was arrested.
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Here is something that has crossed my mind.

Say there is an elderly person with dementia. Let's call him Robert.

Their care-giver sends for an absentee ballot in Robert's name.

When it arrives, the care-giver fills out the ballot, voting how they wish.

The care-giver then either (A) gets their own absentee ballot, or (b) goes to the polls to vote.

That care-giver has voted twice, because Robert never filled out, or even knew that he had a ballot.

That is voter fraud.

How can they prevent that?

Unless Robert can make a complaint to the proper authorities, I don't think they can

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mj12, she definitely didn't commit voter fraud.  

Just an inflammatory thread title...

Honored Contributor

WE have voted absentee for  quite a while. I think the frst time we  decided to do this, we had to go to the township hall, and fill out forms. After that, as long as you kept voting, the forms were automatically sent, without having to appear in person

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

WE have voted absentee for  quite a while. I think the frst time we  decided to do this, we had to go to the township hall, and fill out forms. After that, as long as you kept voting, the forms were automatically sent, without having to appear in person

It varies by state. In Texas you have to request a ballot for every election. I think the only time one is sent to you automatically is for a runoff in which you mailed in your ballot for the original election.

My city and county have separate elections dates and there is often a runoff for each one. Between city and county (state/federal) elections, I've had many years where I voted 4 times between March and May and 6 times by the end of the year. That's at least three times the person has to request a vote by mail ballot.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@cherry wrote:

It varies by state. In Texas you have to request a ballot for every election. I think the only time one is sent to you automatically is for a runoff in which you mailed in your ballot for the original election.

My city and county have separate elections dates and there is often a runoff for each one. Between city and county (state/federal) elections, I've had many years where I voted 4 times between March and May and 6 times by the end of the year. That's at least three times the person has to request a vote by mail ballot.

We have to request a ballot too, but it is done by mail, here. You don't have to appear anywhere with voter ID

Valued Contributor

If the voter decides to go to the polls to vote instead, the voter should bring the vote-by-mail ballot (whether it has been marked or not). Even if the voter comes to the polls without the vote-by-mail ballot, the voter will still be able to vote a regular ballot if the supervisor of elections' office is able to confirm that it has not received the voter's vote-by-mail ballot. However, if it is confirmed that the voter have already voted a vote-by-mail ballot, the voter cannot vote again at the polls. If the voter believes or insists that the supervisor of elections' office is wrong about receiving the vote-by-mail ballot or if the supervisor of elections' office cannot confirm that the voter has already voted an vote-by-mail ballot, the voter is allowed to vote a provisional ballot.

From the Florida Division of Elections:

http://dos.myflorida.com/elections/for-voters/voting/absentee-voting/

Honored Contributor

There are counties in Florida that don't even have computers as yet - they still use the paper ballot. In our county we still use a paper ballot but we insert it into a machine that reads it and counts it before we leave.

Had this woman just cooperated and given the judge her absentee ballot as he asked her it would have all been over. But she would not do that. I wonder if her intention was to disrupt the voting process all along.

Esteemed Contributor

*face palm*

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have all mail in ballots, so you can't really show up with an absentee and also have a second ballot. The only ones who get absentees early here are people who won't be in town during the voting period and would not be able to retrieve their ballot on time regularly. You have to apply for those and presumably you won't get a second one too. I have already dropped my ballot in the drop box near me over a week or so ago. I just checked today to confirm it has been received at the elections office.  In all honesty, I believe from statistics that there are very very few attempts at voting more than once in this country. I'm frankly more disturbed by attempts to suppress votes and voter registration with various tactics. The courts have already had to step in and strike down certain attempts by entire states.  Disenfranchisement is a major because the right to vote is everyone's.