Trusted Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

I would think, too, she was confused about the rules for absentee ballots. 

Strange, though, that she refused to listen and cooperate, to the point that she was arrested. So, maybe she did have some issues. 

We vote by by mail in Washington, and I really like this system. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

Because that doesn't happen in every state.

I moved to Texas from California many years ago. In California, I always had sample ballots and non-partisan voter guides mailed to me. In Texas, I got nothing. Texas voters have to go find that information. Sometimes it's in a newspaper, which not everyone subscribes to. Sometimes you can find them at the post office or library - if they haven't run out and someone dropped some off there. These days, I can find them online. But I have to go searching for them - they do not come to me.

Texas also winds up at the bottom of voter turnout lists every year and that's no coincidence. Texas does very little to help people vote. Even under court order this year to educate voters about the overturned voter ID laws, Texas did not do so and, in some polling locations, posted outdated information with the wrong information.

Honored Contributor

If someone is  having problems with dementia. They just can't reason like a normal thinking person would

Honored Contributor

I am so glad to have done my voting back on the second day.  I tried two times the first day of voting but the lines were out the door.  Since I work downtown just a block over it is easy to walk over when I had a moment.   I have never had to go three different times before  being able to cast my vote. 

I am sure the woman was just confused and probably did the request just in case she could not go in person.  I do think she was a bit extreme in her attitude for insisting.  It was not like she would not be able to cast her vote period, it was just the method. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

The only good in this sad story is that the system worked. In other words, this misguided woman was not able to vote twice. It's incumbent upon good citizens to know their responsibilities regarding voting. Of course, if someone is not "with it" one would hope that friends and family could intervene but that isn't always the case.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

Because that doesn't happen in every state.

I moved to Texas from California many years ago. In California, I always had sample ballots and non-partisan voter guides mailed to me. In Texas, I got nothing. Texas voters have to go find that information. Sometimes it's in a newspaper, which not everyone subscribes to. Sometimes you can find them at the post office or library - if they haven't run out and someone dropped some off there. These days, I can find them online. But I have to go searching for them - they do not come to me.

Texas also winds up at the bottom of voter turnout lists every year and that's no coincidence. Texas does very little to help people vote. Even under court order this year to educate voters about the overturned voter ID laws, Texas did not do so and, in some polling locations, posted outdated information with the wrong information.

I have got my sample off the Texas Secretary of State website in the past or the newspaper in print or online, but never sent to me as well here in Texas. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We don't get that here. If you subscribe to the newspaper they had one in there about a week ago.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

I don't know why you would assume those are the only choices.

This election, both in the primary and the general, has seen unprecedented numbers in some places. I go to my county and state conventions and this year we had A LOT of people there who had never voted before - nnot just young people, but older people, as well. They had no idea what was going on and had a lot of questions. 

In my county, we have a record 90% of residents registered to vote this year and the first day of early voting saw nearly double the numbers of the first day of early voting in 2012. It was also higher than in 2008. We're nearing the last days of early voting and every day has had a higher turnout than in previous years. I'm seeing similar reports from many other Texas counties and from other early voting states, as well.

You assumed the woman was either trying to commit fraud or senile. Based on higher numbers of people voting this year, it's possible she just hasn't had a lot of voter experience. I'm sad that you immediately jumped to fraud or senility as your own way of explaining her situation to yourself.

Honored Contributor

He took her away in handcuffs? How do you know what she was arrested for?
Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue It was explained to her repeatedly and patiently.  She was simply un cooperative.