Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

So they allowed her to vote and then she could go home and mail in her absentee ballot as well. Humm.

It wouldn't matter. They already have record of her ballot, and the ballots are numbered. I called the elections office today to track my ballot. They had my record and my ballot number showing  as being received. One woman, one ballot.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@henderson wrote:

That's very strange.  I live in Nevada and went to early vote.  One lady next to me was there also and according to the computer, they said she requested an absentee ballot.  She didn't so, but they said maybe her husband did for her.  They told to destroy the absentee ballot when she got home.  They allowed her to vote.

If Nevada is anything like California, when one goes to the polls, they check your name off of a computer printed list.

I'm pretty sure that the mailing envelope for the absentee ballot has a bar code on it.

I would think that, that bar code would be scanned, prior to opening of the envelope, and the computer would see that she had already voted earlier, at the polls, and therefore, the absentee ballot would be destroyed, and NOT counted.

Not only a bar code, but in my state, the back side of the envelope has a sworn statement that MUST be signed with your legal signature that matches your signature on file. They ARE checked.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

@bri20

Thanks for the official info!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Here is something that has crossed my mind.

Say there is an elderly person with dementia. Let's call him Robert.

Their care-giver sends for an absentee ballot in Robert's name.

When it arrives, the care-giver fills out the ballot, voting how they wish.

The care-giver then either (A) gets their own absentee ballot, or (b) goes to the polls to vote.

That care-giver has voted twice, because Robert never filled out, or even knew that he had a ballot.

That is voter fraud.

How can they prevent that?

@Plaid Pants2

I worked part time in the evenings at a very high end retirement community that had a skilled nursing facility attached.  I would sort the mail for the skilled nursing unit (which includes dementia and Alzheimer patients).  The ballots came in and I gave them to the Social Worker to sort out.  We got new management and they began giving the ballots directly to the patient - who voted for them?  -was it the caregiver, their children or was the ballot thrown out?  Not a good system - one of the many reasons I resigned.  

A lot of elderly people live at home, with someone taking care of them.

That person could fill out the elderly person's ballot, and the elderly person wouldn't know that they even had had a ballot in the first place.

If you're going to take it that far, please venture further.  There are some husbands who stand over their wives telling them for whom to vote. Before we had mail in ballots, you could get sample ballots to fill out and take to the polls. I worked with a British guy who married an American. He couldn't vote here, so he filled out the sample and told her to vote what was on there. I could not believe she took it, but then he doesn't know what she did behind the curtains. Many people do not know  the laws regarding polling places and voting.I even saw  a husband go into the booth with his wife and tell her how to vote  years ago at the polls, and the poll workers didn't make him leave the voting booth. That's against the law. I reported it to the County Elections Board. As I said, I don't think voter fraud is as dangerous as voter suppression. Some who have voted for decades have had their names completely wiped from the voter rolls to the point where they show up on election day and are turned away disenfranchised.

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

WE never get a sample ballot

They usually have them in the newspaper and at the polling sites.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

WE never get a sample ballot

They usually have them in the newspaper and at the polling sites.

True. That's where you get sample ballots, but we get a huge booklet of everything and everyone on the ballot with background info on candidates and pros and cons on initiatives. It's daunting to read sometimes. I suppose some mark the booklet before they mark the final ballots.

Honored Contributor

Not that many people are senile....Hummmm??? You need to check further into it.

Respected Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Here is something that has crossed my mind.

Say there is an elderly person with dementia. Let's call him Robert.

Their care-giver sends for an absentee ballot in Robert's name.

When it arrives, the care-giver fills out the ballot, voting how they wish.

The care-giver then either (A) gets their own absentee ballot, or (b) goes to the polls to vote.

That care-giver has voted twice, because Robert never filled out, or even knew that he had a ballot.

That is voter fraud.

How can they prevent that?

Plaid Pants: The absentee ballot envelope has to be signed. The signature is to match what is on file with the voter registration submitted previously. 

If there is no signature on the envelope, the voter is notified and has to fill out a paper with a signature required plus a printed version of the name, including the address. 

I forgot to sign the outside of the envelope for a locally held mail in election. I received the letter and called to verify where I was to send the form. I was told at that time that my ballot had NOT been opened and would NOT be opened until the clerk received my form back. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Not that many people are senile....Hummmm??? You need to check further into it.

@Annabellethecat66

Interesting factor.  According to an Alzheimers group:

"Over 5.4 million Americans of all ages have Alzheimer's disease in 2016.

One in nine people age 65 and older (11 percent) has Alzheimer's disease."

Additional information here:

https://dshs.texas.gov/alzheimers/qanda.shtm