Honored Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

@JaneMarple wrote:

Something is wrong with the OP's account of what happened, to me it seems some important information has been left out of the retelling of what really occurred.

I'm pretty sure what's "wrong" is that the OP decided to tell us a story based on something she saw and didn't understand but thought she did.

Honored Contributor

ValuSkr wrote:

cherry wrote:

CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

WE never get a sample ballot

We don't get sample ballots either.  Sure would be nice if we did.

It's really a drag that all states don't send these out.   What if your polling place changed?   How do you know ahead for stuff like the 'questions' and have a more detailed description of what they are about?    

I think that would drive me crazy because sometimes there are a lot of questions and I need the time to go through them, detail them out, get the pros and cons, etc.  All that stuff is included in the 'packet' we get   and then if I want to look further into something, I have time to research.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

That has happened to me one election year but I phoned the election dept and they told me it is viewable and printable on their website.  Maybe in your city too.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Very sad.  I hope she has someone at home who collected her and explained to the police.  

Honored Contributor

Where is the OP?

Trusted Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

If you request an absentee ballot, you have to identify yourself and provide your mailing address.   I'm sure they keep track of requests and who has sent them back in.  It doesn't mean they can see who you voted for.  

I vote by absentee ballot.

In my area in WI, you have to sign the envelope that your ballot goes in.

You have to have someone witness you filling out your ballot, and then again, your signature has to be witnessed on the return envelope. The witness also has to put their mailing address on the return envelope, too. 

This is to verify your signature, that you are saying who you say that you are. 

They do keep track of whether or not you return your ballot. You have to keep voting in order to stay on the absentee voter list in my area.

The clerk's office will periodically send a letter to you, asking you if you need to stay on the list or not.

You need to sign the letter and send it back, if you want/need to stay on the list, so that you can continue to receive absentee ballots. 

Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

Do you think that the national news stations are covering it?

*************************************************************************************

@mom2four0418  Nah.  This story is a twist on voter fraud in Iowa and Miami-Dade county.   The offenders were supporters of the one sporting the classic identifying hair.

I suspect this is more about him than about a real incident.

LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Drama, once again!!

I think this is a man that likes pulling our chain. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

We don't get sample ballots either.  Sure would be nice if we did.

It's really a drag that all states don't send these out.   What if your polling place changed?   How do you know ahead for stuff like the 'questions' and have a more detailed description of what they are about?    

I think that would drive me crazy because sometimes there are a lot of questions and I need the time to go through them, detail them out, get the pros and cons, etc.  All that stuff is included in the 'packet' we get   and then if I want to look further into something, I have time to research.

It is a HUGE drag that all  states don't do this and moving to Texas was a big eye-opener for me in terms of how easy it is (or is NOT) easy to vote.

Polling place info IS mailed out to people - that's on the voter registration card that every registered voter gets prior to the election. You can also look it up online.

My county - and Travis County imay be the only place in Texas that does this - implemented a new polling location system a few years back and it's fantastic.

During the early voting period, you could vote at any polling place, but on the actual Election Day, you had to vote in your precinct's polling place. I had to literally drive by two polling locations to get to my polling location and then make a terrible U-Turn at a stop sign - no light - across a road with a 45 mph speed limit. It was awful. A  few years ago, they started allowing us to vote in any polling location on Election Day as well as during the early voting period. I worked on one end of town and live on the other - it's a 60-minute drive in commute traffic - so that made Election Day voting a problem. Now I can vote close to home or close to work, which is so much easier and means that even if they DO change my precinct polling place, it won't matter - I can vote anywhere! I hope all counties and states do that.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Voter fraud or senile or voter suppression or just fiction?

"Hmmmmmmm"  indeed lol.