Honored Contributor

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

I think a lot of people are confused about absentee ballots and such matters.

Honored Contributor

Probably just confused about how things work.I hope they called someone to take her home. She doesn't sound like she should be in jail

Honored Contributor

I feel bad for her.  It's a shame they just can't override the computer and check her back in as an in person voter.  I completely understand her frustration but I also understand why they have to have such a strict system in place.      

Respected Contributor

Aww, poor lady.

She sounds confused...

Honored Contributor

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

Honored Contributor

Sad...seems like elections bring out all the crazy 😜 people...those that vote as well as those running for office.....

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

WE never get a sample ballot

Honored Contributor

Oh goodness, this really breaks my heart as although my mom didn't lose much of her cognative ability in her later life, voting was a huge priority for her and without my help she would have had issues.  I am sorry to hear someone was not available to help her through this important process.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The judge of elections told her to fill out her absentee ballot and hand it to him and he would see it was counted but for some reason she wouldn't do that.So then they asked her to leave because she was holding up the line but she would not get up. I think that was when they called the police. I want to add - everyone was very nice to this lady - and even as they were cuffing her and reading her rights they were as gentle and nice as possible. He did have to make her stand up by actually getting his arms around her and lifting her up, because she was refusing to get up.