Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 25,929
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

[ Edited ]






****************************

 

@Annabellethecat

 

Interesting factor.  According to an Alzheimers group:

 

"Over 5.4 million Americans of all ages have Alzheimer's disease in 2016.

 

One in nine people age 65 and older (11 percent) has Alzheimer's disease."

 

Additional information here:

 

https://dshs.texas.gov/alzheimers/qanda.shtm

 

Not everyone with dementia has Altzheimers disease. There are many causes for dementia.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,672
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

For years my Ballot has been mailed to me, I make my choice, mail it back and I'm done.  So simple and easy, no standing on line or going into a booth and draw a curtain for privacy.  Sad story about that woman actually being arrested, hope it all turned out well for her. 

 

 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
QVC Customer Care
Posts: 1,406
Registered: ‎10-12-2015

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

This post has been removed by QVC because it is inappropriate.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,320
Registered: ‎10-21-2010

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

I haven't read all the responses but most likely he did it to get her out of there and to prevent injury to her..if she continued to refuse to leave and it caused a bigger scene and more personnel arrived and before you know it..she would of probably become combative and they would of ended up tasering her..so removing her in cuffs and saying voter fraud. I am sure once in the car/station they called somebody to come get her..but it it was in her best interest and theirs to remove her as quickly, safely and easily as possible. Especially in this political climate as well as you never know what people will do..(not her but others...)

 

I doubt any charges were filed and it was just to get her out of there legally and safely.  Using attempted voter fraud just made it more legit..while everybody is worrying if it was or wasn't..I am with the LE on the best way to handle the situation is to get her out of their quickly and safely....and would almost guarantee they had somebody come get her.  Especially since she probably had cognitive impairment of some kind..was confused and insisting..it was best to defuse the situation before it escalated.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 19,970
Registered: ‎08-08-2010

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

She very well could have been confused. And the fact that different states have different rules for voting, simply confuses people even more. In some places you can change your vote if you vote early, some not, and different time frames and procedures in various places to do so. Some you can even show up on election day and re vote and replace your previous vote. There is early voting, and absentee voting etc. It can get confusing, especially if you have lived in several different states, and the media does't help with all their reporting of all the varieties. So yes, she could have been confused.

 

But voter fraud is a real, and has been for many years. We really do have to get a handle on it, and figure out how to stop it. There are many people who don't vote simply because they see/hear about the fraud and figure why bother, it isn't all on the 'up and up' anyway. 

 

 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: voter fraud or just senile?


@RainCityWoman wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.


WE never get a sample ballot


They usually have them in the newspaper and at the polling sites.


True. That's where you get sample ballots, but we get a huge booklet of everything and everyone on the ballot with background info on candidates and pros and cons on initiatives. It's daunting to read sometimes. I suppose some mark the booklet before they mark the final ballots.



@RainCityWoman wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.


WE never get a sample ballot


They usually have them in the newspaper and at the polling sites.


True. That's where you get sample ballots, but we get a huge booklet of everything and everyone on the ballot with background info on candidates and pros and cons on initiatives. It's daunting to read sometimes. I suppose some mark the booklet before they mark the final ballots.


I print the sample ballot from the website of the elections office. Since we don't get paper booklets mailed to us in Texas, I go to the local League of Women Voters website and download their booklet. Then I read the booklet and mark my sample ballot. I bring the sample ballot with me to the polling place.

Having a sample ballot at the polls is nice, but it's too little, too late in large elections with many people and propositions or bonds on the ballot. I'm an educated voter - I attend monthly meetings where I meet candidates, I visit their websites, and I've met the people running for judge, justice of the peace, sheriff, school board, and local school trustees. I'm guessing, that's not true for most voters. Having those voter guides and a sample ballot at least a week before the election is crucial if you expect people to make good decisions. As far as I'm concerned, states that do not make any effort to inform their citizens, like Texas fails to do every year, are suppressing the vote. And I believe there's a link between the very (VERY) low voter turnout in Texas and the fact that the state does nothing to help voters get the information they need. In fact, evidence shows that Texas defied a court order to educate voters about voter ID and some polling places had outdated and misleading information about the voter ID requirements.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: voter fraud or just senile?


@annabellethecat wrote:

Not that many people are senile....Hummmm??? You need to check further into it.


No, she does not need to check further into this. As we've said so many times, no laws were broken and the woman was well within her rights to bring her mail in ballot to the polls AND request to vote in person. As long as she only cast one ballot, either the mail in OR the in-person ballot, no laws were broken. The only strange thing that happened is that the officers put her in handcuffs to remove her and straighten things out. 

 

Election laws are important and voters who actually know their rights shouldn't be hauled off in cuffs when they stand up for their voting rights. And the last thing we need is misinformed people spreading rumors about voter fraud in an election like this.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?


@151949 wrote:

@september wrote:

I think the laws vary by state and perhaps this added to the confusion of this voter in Florida. And I wouldn't call her senile and I do think there was an over reaction.  She wasn't trying to vote fraudulently.  

 

she was likely thinking that she had the option of changing her status from vote by mail to vote in person. We can do that in CA...we just need to surrender our absentee ballot before we're allowed to vote. 

 

if the election officials had suggested to her, that she record her choices on a piece of paper..then surrender her vote by mail ballot....I think she would have been allowed to vote and there wouldn't have been any problem.  It seems to me....the election personnel need more training.  


As I have stated previously - the elections judge asked her a few times to just give him her absentee ballot and he would see it was counted but she refused to do so. The more I think about this the more I think she was purposely trying to disrupt the voting for some reason, because she was so unreasonable & disruptive.


You can think all kinds of things, but that doesn't make any of them true.