QVC Customer Care

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

Trusted Contributor

I live in FL and vote by absentee ballot. They send the ballot in the mail and you can either fill it out and mail it or drop it off in locations with an official ballot "mailbox".

Your signature is required over the folds of the outer envelope.

My name will NOT be on the list to vote in person at my local polling place because I opted to vote by absentee.

So, I cannot walk in and vote in person because I already chose to vote by absentee ballot.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re:ha voter fraud or just senile?

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@henderson wrote:

That's very strange.  I live in Nevada and went to early vote.  One lady next to me was there also and according to the computer, they said she requested an absentee ballot.  She didn't so, but they said maybe her husband did for her.  They told to destroy the absentee ballot when she got home.  They allowed her to vote.

If Nevada is anything like California, when one goes to the polls, they check your name off of a computer printed list.

I'm pretty sure that the mailing envelope for the absentee ballot has a bar code on it.

I would think that, that bar code would be scanned, prior to opening of the envelope, and the computer would see that she had already voted earlier, at the polls, and therefore, the absentee ballot would be destroyed, and NOT counted.

Not only a bar code, but in my state, the back side of the envelope has a sworn statement that MUST be signed with your legal signature that matches your signature on file. They ARE checked.

Yes, they are checked.

When I went to the registrar's office today to vote, I too had to sign the back of the envelope that contained my ballot.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@DJP wrote:

I don't understand early voting.  IMHO voting should be on Election Day.

Early Voting is fantastic and I'm sorry you do not understand it.

Early voting spreads the number of voters out over days, which makes for less crowded polling places and shorter lines. In some areas without early voting or shortened early voting periods and few polling locations, people have literally waited 7 hours to vote. Early voting means fewer and shorter lines. Imagine having to run an errand downtown - would you rather go at rush hour and get stuck in traffic or go at a time when there aren't as many people on the roads? Election Day voting is like rush hour. I'd rather go when there are fewer people on the roads.

Early voting in my state is 12 days long, which includes one weekend. Anyone who cannot get to a polling location on election day because of work, child care, etc, has 13 days to vote instead of one. That gives more people a chance to get to the polls. Legally, employers have to give people time to vote,  but try being 18 and explaining that to your manager. Giving people 13 days to vote means more opportunities for everyone to get to vote.

Early voting means that if you have an unlucky day where your car breaks down, your childcare can't make it, you get very sick, or anything else happens, you can still vote because one bad day won't be the only day. I voted a week ago. If I get sick or hit by a car and hospitalized on election day, I know I've already voted and have one less thing to worry about.

Why would you be against early voting, given that it creates so many more opportunities for every registered vote to be heard?

Well said!

Besides, even if one does vote early, the ballots are not read until election day.

Honored Contributor

I think the laws vary by state and perhaps this added to the confusion of this voter in Florida. And I wouldn't call her senile and I do think there was an over reaction.  She wasn't trying to vote fraudulently.  

she was likely thinking that she had the option of changing her status from vote by mail to vote in person. We can do that in CA...we just need to surrender our absentee ballot before we're allowed to vote. 

if the election officials had suggested to her, that she record her choices on a piece of paper..then surrender her vote by mail ballot....I think she would have been allowed to vote and there wouldn't have been any problem.  It seems to me....the election personnel need more training.  

Respected Contributor

I wonder what my dad's going to do this year.  He and Mom always voted one party line all these years.  She's got dementia now.  

It will be interesting to see if she goes with him and votes.  It is possible that she could be having a really good day when they go and could be aware of what she's doing. There are times during the day when she seems to be her old self but there are other times when she's disconnected from what's going on around her.  

Honored Contributor

Very sad situation I'm sure.  

All I know is where we vote (our community clubhouse) the election people are not the nicest or friendly.  In fact, I find them quite annoying & never helpful to those who ? them. JMO -

I did absentee ballot as I leave Sat for vacation out of country.

I hope if this person was confused that someone was able to help her understand & if she has a illness (not sure if her age, etc was mentioned) someone recognized it.

Esteemed Contributor

What interesting experiences the OP has.
Honored Contributor

I'll vote in person on Tuesday.  I do have an absentee ballot that I'll turn in..without any problem ,I'm sure.  I've done this before 

If there are any disturbances at my polling place, I'll report on it here!

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

I think the laws vary by state and perhaps this added to the confusion of this voter in Florida. And I wouldn't call her senile and I do think there was an over reaction.  She wasn't trying to vote fraudulently.  

she was likely thinking that she had the option of changing her status from vote by mail to vote in person. We can do that in CA...we just need to surrender our absentee ballot before we're allowed to vote. 

if the election officials had suggested to her, that she record her choices on a piece of paper..then surrender her vote by mail ballot....I think she would have been allowed to vote and there wouldn't have been any problem.  It seems to me....the election personnel need more training.  

As I have stated previously - the elections judge asked her a few times to just give him her absentee ballot and he would see it was counted but she refused to do so. The more I think about this the more I think she was purposely trying to disrupt the voting for some reason, because she was so unreasonable & disruptive.