Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

Some of the people who have been arrested said that they had to try to vote twice because the process is rigged.

Shame on people who use that term and mislead others!

Honored Contributor

OP morphed this supposed voter quickly from a poor dear with dementia, to someone trying to comitt voter fraud.

The really important point is that thankfully OP and hubby already had seats and did not have to stand while the poor dear was misbehaving.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

Kinda like TV...one week a teacher is a druggie, the next week a cop is a druggie, next week a doctor is a druggie, next week a coach is a druggie, etc.

Same argumentative SUBJECT, someone takes the bait, they don't play by the same rules so, as we said as kids, "I'll just pick up my toys and go home!"

Pattern never changes, just the subects!

Valued Contributor

I don't understand early voting.  IMHO voting should be on Election Day.

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

The poles get so crowded. This allows more people to vote. I love absentee ballots

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

@DJP We always vote early-the lines are shorter and we can choose from a variety of locations.   Election day we can only go to one place.

The convenience of early voting is a plus for us but folks can do whatever is good for them. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think early voting, as an option, is pretty important.  For one thing, some people don't have the ability to go on that one day. For another, to have tens of millions of people all voting in the short structure of a one day schedule is just totally unreasonable and impractical.

This was my first time to vote early and I enjoyed doing it.  It went well and not a lot of waiting.  For me being able to do that, it's one less person in line next Tuesday to keep others waiting.   Multiply that times millions and it really does make a huge difference.

Too bad there are those who try to cut it out for certain people, though.

I'm glad to be done two weeks early.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I voted early eight days ago.  It was good to have it over with.  The lady at the polls could have had many problems, including dementia.  Though I don't know why someone who is annoying is automatically branded senile because of age.  My dad developed dementia in his 40s.  Many people I know in their 90s have all their marbles.

People don't know if someone is senile.  From my Dad, I know the exact diagnosis is not that easy for doctors to make, because there are many reasons for these behaviors, and a very few are curable, such as confusion due to medication.

This behavior could stem from anything, including stubborn personality or low information.  It's clearly not voter fraud.  Con artists are charming, not confrontational.

When I voted, I was harassed by 2 people:  a poll watcher who glared, staring the voters down, and some people hassling folks coming in from the parking lot about a referendum item I intended to reject, as they were urging people to do. I still scolded them for hectoring people in the parking lot and didn't say I agreed with them.  At 7AM I do not like people yelling at me.  The yelling, I don't agree with.

People should stay away from folks who are trying to vote.  It is creepy to hassle them.  

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

Early Voting is fantastic and I'm sorry you do not understand it.

Early voting spreads the number of voters out over days, which makes for less crowded polling places and shorter lines. In some areas without early voting or shortened early voting periods and few polling locations, people have literally waited 7 hours to vote. Early voting means fewer and shorter lines. Imagine having to run an errand downtown - would you rather go at rush hour and get stuck in traffic or go at a time when there aren't as many people on the roads? Election Day voting is like rush hour. I'd rather go when there are fewer people on the roads.

Early voting in my state is 12 days long, which includes one weekend. Anyone who cannot get to a polling location on election day because of work, child care, etc, has 13 days to vote instead of one. That gives more people a chance to get to the polls. Legally, employers have to give people time to vote,  but try being 18 and explaining that to your manager. Giving people 13 days to vote means more opportunities for everyone to get to vote.

Early voting means that if you have an unlucky day where your car breaks down, your childcare can't make it, you get very sick, or anything else happens, you can still vote because one bad day won't be the only day. I voted a week ago. If I get sick or hit by a car and hospitalized on election day, I know I've already voted and have one less thing to worry about.

Why would you be against early voting, given that it creates so many more opportunities for every registered vote to be heard?

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Some of the people who have been arrested said that they had to try to vote twice because the process is rigged.

Shame on people who use that term and mislead others!

To be fair, terrier, many *terms* are misleading----all the way around.