Respected Contributor

Re: voter fraud or just senile?

I am on the permanent early voting list in my state.  I don't have to do anything each election. I receive my ballot in the mail.

This year, mine never showed up even though the County Recorder's records showed it had been mailed.  I requested a second ballot and they sent it.  There are bar codes on the ballots. My first one (if use attempted) will show up as invalid.  My second is the only one that will count.

The scenario OP writes about is not voter fraud.  It is voter confusion.  As someone else stated, I am far more concerned about voter suppression and intimidation at the polls than I am about voter fraud. 

Just because you "hear" about stuff doesn't make that "stuff" true. 

CNN had a very good article about the plethora of false news that is circulating right now.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Do you think that the national news stations are covering it?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are two famous authors from Florida.  The basis of their books (mysteries) is that Florida is known for people doing odd things.  I've got a couple of the books for DH, they're best sellers.  Carl Hiaasen is one.

I guess odd things do happen there, lol.

Honored Contributor

Something is wrong with the OP's account of what happened, to me it seems some important information has been left out of the retelling of what really occurred.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Confusion more likely considering all the changes that have been made.

Respected Contributor

Based on the Fl voter information shared here by a couple of folks, I'd say the woman had all her faculties and the board of elections people and the police officer who arrested the woman are the ones who need to be investigated and retrained.

Sounds more like voter suppression than voter fraud.

Honored Contributor

It sure doesn't sound like she was intending to vote fraudulently.  It sounds like she just wanted the paper to do the work and then take it with her and vote in person, instead of mailing it in.

In my state, we do get a 'sample ballot' packet that has all the information as well as a paper ballot to just mark things (that doesn't get turned in, as we punch the info into a machine).  But I always do the work in the week or two before voting and mark all my choices.  That makes it easy to bring it with me to copy my work into the machine.  I bring the whole thing with me and hand it to the worker, as my name and address are on the outside.  That makes it easier for them, instead of having to make sure they hear me right, or need it spelled, etc.

But, while her scenario seemed different, I feel like she was doing the same type of thing just using an absentee ballot instead of what I get.  All states don't send out this packet thing that we get.

I wonder if she didn't want to give it to them because she needed to use it in the 'booth' to record her choices.  If they expected her to give it them BEFORE she voted, that would not seem right.  I can see having them take it after she votes.  But I didn't see, clearly, which scenario applied.

Honored Contributor

@Suhse wrote:

I would think, too, she was confused about the rules for absentee ballots. 

Strange, though, that she refused to listen and cooperate, to the point that she was arrested. So, maybe she did have some issues. 

We vote by by mail in Washington, and I really like this system. 

@Suhse  Is there a way to make sure your vote made it and was counted properly online? I don't have 100% confidence my vote would make it to it's destination. I've had more than one missing package that never made it here...

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

If she wanted a cheat sheet, why didn't she just use the sample ballot that gets mailed out to everyone.

WE never get a sample ballot

We don't get sample ballots either.  Sure would be nice if we did.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mom2four wrote:

@151949 wrote:

We went to early vote this morning and the lady sitting next to DH at the sign in desk had a absentee ballot plus was insisting she was there to vote. Sarasota County uses computers to sign in to vote so the lady shows her where the computer won't allow her to vote there because she requested an absentee ballot.She said she just wanted that as a cheat sheet but the judge of elections explained to her that was going to be her vote and she could not vote any other way as everyone only gets one opportunity to vote.She continued to argue saying she wanted to vote today and not use the absentee ballot etc etc and finally a policeman showed up and asked her to go with him. He was very nice to her but she was uncooperative and he ended up taking her away in handcuffs. I'm sure she probably has dementia but the poor woman got arrested for voter fraud. She probably held up the line 15min.We were lucky we were already seated, so at least we did not have to stand while we waited as many others did.

Do you think that the national news stations are covering it?

I hope not, because it is ridiculous.