Respected Contributor

Re: update on my rescue dog- a hopeful beginning

I am very happy you are giving this little girl a chance. She will be forever grateful.

The first dog I adopted was 1-2 years old and not potty trained. It was very trying and she ruined the carpet in my new house but it all worked out in the end. Back in the 70s I don't think a crate was ever mentioned by anyone but getting another dog helped her learn what to do.

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 emmiesmom said:

I am so happy for all of you!! Please keep us posted on her success! You are a precious mommy! She will have a wonderful home, glad your other dogs like her, she needs all the love she can get!{#emotions_dlg.wub} Wanted to add, I've had a tough day and this made my day!!

I hope your tomorrow will be better!! Hang in there.
Super Contributor

I am glad that things have settled down for you. Good luck. You sound very positive. Now hopefully you don't misinterpret what I am trying to say . Here goes it. When you were so overwhelmed with the dogs the health of everyone etc you were in a state of "shutdown". Well that is the same state your rescue was in afraid acting out sometimes okay and caring but previous history of her life makes a shutdown her coping skill. When everything settled down you are able to do positive things. Dogs read stress on their own kind and their humans too. I have owned rescues and my pack usually is three big dogs. Positive reinforcement is the way to go. Btw some signs of shutdown stress are heavy panting, sweaty paws, no interest in treats or food, disengaged with anything. Please post how you are doing. To crate put the best treat inside but away from the other dogs so there is no food aggression or resource guarding. I often use chicken breast or salmon anything high level for the most difficult thing I am trying them to learn. Smile and laugh for a good reward immediately after success. Any questions please post.

Honored Contributor

I'm a cat lover, but I'm happy to hear this! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

On 6/3/2014 lolakimono said:

I'm a cat lover, but I'm happy to hear this! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Me too!!
Regular Contributor

Thank you all for your comments and tips and prayers- I appreciate them all. Today we worked on potty training- with the help Of some string cheese!! It is definitely helping! I am feeling more confident today about my decision. I wish I knew how to post a pic of her but I don't know how on this forum! I bring her outside for potty alot- can you be outside too long? Well anyway good night to you all and by the way I love cats too. I had a cat live to be 18 year old- I found her in our front bushes when I was 17 years old and she passed when I was 35! I loved her so much - she had the most beautiful green eyes!
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/3/2014 Tissyanne said:
On 6/3/2014 emmiesmom said:

<em>I am so happy for all of you!! Please keep us posted on her success! You are a precious mommy! She will have a wonderful home, glad your other dogs like her, she needs all the love she can get!{#emotions_dlg.wub} Wanted to add, I've had a tough day and this made my day!!<br /></em>

I hope your tomorrow will be better!! Hang in there.

Thanks Tissyanne, you are so sweet! I start a new job today and hopefully this will be a start a better things~{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Emmiesmom- good luck to you today!
Respected Contributor

I would love to see a photo!

Open the file (the picture) then right click ""copy"" come here and ""paste"". Give it a try.

Super Contributor

So thrilled to hear this. I do believe you will all be fine. Housebreaking: several of my rescues thru the years have needed this. Most recently, an adorable 7 lb terrier X. I kept her leashed inside, and restricted access in the house by gates, closed doors, etc, when not on leash, so that I could watch her every minute. That way there could be no accidents. Before doing that I thought she would never catch on, but the restricted and supervised access, along with everyone's tips about going outside to the same spot frequently and praising with treats, suddenly clicked. Now, two years later, she would never think of going anywhere but outside and let's us know when she needs to go. Also, if she is afraid of hubby or anyone, just let that person give her treats frequently. A treat can be any teensy morsel that she likes ( beware of letting jer get fat from all this praise amd affection!). She sounds adorable. Keep us posted.