Regular Contributor

update on my rescue dog- a hopeful beginning

After much thought and a few tear filled appointments with my vet-- I am keeping her! This little 4 year old toy poodle has been thru he** and I cannot consciously give her up. So far-as many of you have read- this baby has been spayed not even a month ago- has whipworm-tapeworm- a double yeast infection in both ears-and a bug bite on her face that she is scratching relentlessly. My husband got bit by her but in her defense she did not attack him - she was afraid and most likely didnt and doesnt feel good. I was going to get her healthy thru medicine and good food and love and then return her because I got overwhelmed --and scared. I have decided I cant give up- I am going to sign her up for training today and help her to continue to heal in all ways. your support and experiences have helped me so much. Right now all three of my dogs are asleep on my bed. She really likes my other two and they dont mind her either. I will ask for any of your ideas on potty training an older dog. I have found some accidents but how many times per day should I take her out and for how long? Again- this little girl deserves the best and I am going to give her all I can!
Respected Contributor

Re: update on my rescue dog- a hopeful beginning

I've been following your thread and can empathize with your situation. I applaud you for having the patience, during the quarantine period, to continue to try to get to the bottom of her problems. I sincerely wish you the best of luck with this little girl. I have a feeling that everything will sort itself out just fine.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

Wow, I admire you for making the decision to keep this little dog and work with her. Definitely a hopeful beginning for her to lead a new and rewarding life...

Usually a dog needs to piddle after eating -- anywhere from 5 minutes after eating (small dogs) and up to 1/2 hour for larger dogs. For now, I would suggest taking her out as much as possible and note the times she piddles. That will give you a good idea about how long she can go between outings.

Also, you might consider training her to use piddle pads, if that is more convenient for you.

After reading how much love & care you have already given to this little dog, I have no doubt that you will be successful with helping her become the wonderful pet & loyal companion that she was always meant to be. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I meant to add a comment that if you can possibly post a photo of her, I'm sure everyone would love to see it. Smile I'm sure she's just a doll. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Respected Contributor

Ah, this just warms my heart. I'm so happy you're keeping her.{#emotions_dlg.wub}

I would take her outside every 2 hours. Also when she wakes up from a nap and after eating or drinking a lot of water. Our latest rescue took a couple of months to stop having accidents, we just had to be really consistent with her.

Best of luck to you and the lucky little girl.

Trusted Contributor

lynbeechwood, you are a special lady.

Respected Contributor

Bless you for deciding to keep this poor little dog, she deserves a great home and it sounds like yours is it! Re: potty training, my advice is always to treat the dog, no matter the age, just like a baby puppy. Take them out when they wake up, after drinking or eating, after a long play session, just before bed, and every hour or two otherwise, whether they've eaten, drunk, played, or anything. Take them on a leash to the same place in the yard every time, use the same word cue every time, and PRAISE LAVISHLY when the deed is done. You can include a special small treat of high value used only at that particular time, when the dog eliminates on cue outdoors. Keep those treats in your pocket so you can reward every time the dog eliminates outdoors, whether you took them on leash and asked them to, or they were running and playing and took care of business on their own. Of course, your other two dogs will want their goodie, too, so you might suddenly find yourself the doggie potty monitor, handing out gold stars in the form of cheese cubes to three greedy little piggies who just piddled one tablespoon of urine not because they needed to but that they wanted that cheese so bad, but hey, life could be worse, LOL! Best Wishes!

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your decision. When we got our boy (Golden Retreiver), we were his third home within 10 months. He had all the sweetness of a GR, but lacked any consistent training so he came with some bad habits, but I wanted him so I accepted him under those conditions. The one thing he had going for him was that he was housebroken. We got ourselves enrolled in professional obedience classes and they helped a lot, but you have to be consistent and don't blow off the homework. Yes, they're controversial, but we also discriminatingly used an electronic collar to nip the worst things in the bud (eating the cats' food and counter surfing) and he learned quickly. My boy has become my best friend and constant companion, I can't imagine a life without him. I really hope all works out well for you and your new furbaby. And, thank you for giving this little one a forever home.

Honored Contributor

You are a special lady. I pray that all will become peaceful in your home in the coming days.
Esteemed Contributor

I am so happy for all of you!! Please keep us posted on her success! You are a precious mommy! She will have a wonderful home, glad your other dogs like her, she needs all the love she can get!{#emotions_dlg.wub} Wanted to add, I've had a tough day and this made my day!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West