Respected Contributor

Re: *** ""A person is known and defined by the company they keep?"" ***

No, I don't but there are many who judge that way. In work situations one works with everyone the best way that is possible.

I think in life situations that is probably the best, too. Shunning someone because an observer will draw negative conclusions? Let them do so.

St Francis didn't believe in this. Mother Theresa didn't. Reasonable people aren't that inquisitive or judgemental.

Unreasonable people will draw unreasonable conclusions no matter what. That is why they are unreasonable.

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2014 Burnsite said:

No, I don't but there are many who judge that way. In work situations one works with everyone the best way that is possible.

I think in life situations that is probably the best, too. Shunning someone because an observer will draw negative conclusions? Let them do so.

St Francis didn't believe in this. Mother Theresa didn't. Reasonable people aren't that inquisitive or judgemental.

Unreasonable people will draw unreasonable conclusions no matter what. That is why they are unreasonable.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Respected Contributor

I remember my mother having a saying something to this effect "tell me who your friends are and I will tell you what you're like." That can be true to a certain point, we all have friends and then we have good close friends. My husband has a best friend, he's a nice guy, but his wife is always trying to out do everyone. We do go to their parties/bbqs, but unfortunately it all comes down to the women chit chatting and bragging about something. I usually spend more time hanging with the men. I just go for my husbands sake. No they don't define me at all to answer your question.

Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Vera City said:

Do you believe this to be true? Are we evaluated and thus defined at least in part by those with whom we are associating? Are we changed by them and conform to them?

*** "A person is known and defined by the company they keep?" ***

I can only speak for myself. I am my own person and have been since before my teen years. Been around many people from many different walks of life, and I don't agree with this "quote" as it pertains to me as a person, or as I perceive others as an individual.

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Methinks, in reading a number of the responses here that the OP got exactly what they were hoping to get. Like I said in a now poofed thread - some people post and sit back and enjoy the flames that they hope will erupt.

Regular Contributor

On 3/14/2014 hckynut said:
On 3/13/2014 Vera City said:

Do you believe this to be true? Are we evaluated and thus defined at least in part by those with whom we are associating? Are we changed by them and conform to them? <br />

*** "A person is known and defined by the company they keep?" ***

I can only speak for myself. I am my own person and have been since before my teen years. Been around many people from many different walks of life, and I don't agree with this "quote" as it pertains to me as a person, or as I perceive others as an individual.

Whether you wish to believe it or not that is not true. Everyone and everything you have come into contact with during your lifetime have gotten you to who and where you are today. You are the sum of your past.

Respected Contributor

I sure hope so....because I have the most amazing friends.

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Water seeks it's own level Smiley Happy
Super Contributor

I still believe that Buddha got it right.......

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2014 maryebrown said:

I still believe that Buddha got it right.......

How so?

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent