Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

Re: Fun Summertime Memories 2.0

[ Edited ]

My parents had a window AC in their room in the window.When it was very hot & sticky we would be allowed to sleep in there in sleeping bags on the floor. We weren't ever allowed in our parents room unless we were invited - it was a staunch rule - that room was their sanctuary. I had an opportunity to buy a used window AC from my grandparents when they got whole house AC - I was 17 - I'm sure they sold ot to me super cheap. Anyway, I bought it with my savings but my parents then made me let my little brother sleep in my room - i had twin beds in my room, and by then it was only he & I left at home. When I moved to school my parents turned my room into a den so they could relax & watch tv in the AC.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dad-powered rotary lawn mowers that made that chattering sound when pushed across the grass.

The smell of freshly-mown grass.

Chasing butterflies & looking for ladybugs.

Lying on the lawn, looking up at the sky & finding faces & shapes in the clouds.

The excitement we felt when we heard the music coming from the popsicle man's truck, & racing into the house to get our quarters.

Playing on the swing set & jungle gym.

Going on picnics sponsored by Dad's company when we ate hot dogs cooked on the outdoor grill, drank grape Nehi, & had icy cold watermelon for dessert.

Going to the drive-in movies in our pajamas because we'd always fall asleep in the back seat & it was easier if Dad & Mom only had to carry us in to our beds when we got home.

Running through the lawn sprinklers to cool off.  Getting to go to the public swimming pool was a special treat that we only got to do a few times in the summer.

Lying in bed, about to go to sleep, & listening to the crickets outside our bedroom window.

Many more

Esteemed Contributor

We lived in a two story home with no AC at all in any window...nor did our one car have any air..We owned one floor fan which my dad would rarely let us turn on...he wouldn't put in the screens till late July or early August....then would take them out in September.....needless to say there was no use opening the windows....yes, thats the life I had....can't say it is a fond memory....but it is a memory....

Esteemed Contributor

I had wonderful summer vacations because I grew up at the beach. When I was old enough, I went to the beach every day with my friends instead of my parents. At night, we returned because there was a great boardwalk, where we played all sorts of games, ate ice cream, and socialized with zillions of other kids. It was good clean fun and very safe. Those were the good old days.

Honored Contributor

CAMP!

Several of us neighborhood kids went to the same church and trooped off to camp together.

I loved two weeks of camp every summer... Swimming, crafts, youth groups, hikes, and boys, lol.

Years later, our daughter went to the same camp with her friends and also loved it.

Respected Contributor

My favorite summer memory is lying on my back in the grass on a hot day and watching the clouds roll by.  Not a care in the world. (I still do this occasionally, but now I have cares.)

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Valued Contributor

@DoneTryin: Ah, yes...the popsicle man! As a child, ours wasn't even in a truck. He rode a bicycle that was attached to a freezer on wheels. I think this may still be done in some cities. (At least I see it in movies and tv.) But hurrying inside for the quarters before he passed the house...never moved so fast in my life.

Respected Contributor

Fun thread!

I have so many great memories of summer.

We had a beautiful pool so we spent most of our time playing Marco Polo. Oh the green hair LOL

Camping tent style 

Malibu beach tops my list.

All the kids in our neighborhood would stay out late, playing hide and seek.

Playing baseball in our court, one year one of our friends collided with his brother to catch a ball and broke his leg.

I must say it was a great time to grow up.....no cell phones, IPads, computers etc!

Honored Contributor

I was in college. Me and my boyfriend took a trip to the Baja to do some whale watching in the Sea of Cortez.  We camped out on the beach under the stars amidst the sound of crashing waves...it was so beautiful.

We got to swim with the wild dolphins. I got to touch the head of a gray whale as she swam next to our small boat. She came up to get a closer look at us and it was simply amazing and breathtaking to say the least. 

That was the summer of my life!Woman Happy