Super Contributor

Re: *** ""A person is known and defined by the company they keep?"" ***

That quote is more about the person judging than about the person keeping company. And it can be telling or it can be bunk.

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Sonny Florzes said:
On 3/15/2014 hckynut said:
On 3/15/2014 Sonny Florzes said:

I see you have never studied psychology. If you had you would know this is not a belief system but a fact.

Study psychology? Heck I didn't even graduate from high school and had to go to summer school to get my grade school diploma. I did however live in the "real world(not the book world)"unlike many my age. My "facts" are what I learned from living my life, and that could never be replaced by learning something in any book. A book is going to tell me facts about my life and my beliefs? I think not, especially when written by someone that has no idea what or who I am.

Now you are trying to tell me that my belief system, because it doesn't go along with the findings of some arbitrary conclusion, by people that do not know me, are facts? I familiar enough, when it comes to psychology, to know this. It is studies of the "characteristics" of an individual, but that leaves a whole lot of who a person is up to speculation and assumptions. We both know what is said by many about "assumptions" starting with the first 3 letters of the word, right?

Please, we are both smarter than that ain't we?

Well one of us is. You can't fix old and set in his ways.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Well Sonny, I have no idea of the company you keep, they could be the greatest people on the face of the earth! I do know you though simply based on your posts. So, while you claim you can't fix old and set in his ways, obviously you can't fix ugly and full of hot air either!

Just sayin.

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2014 maryebrown said:

I posted this morning that one of the tenets of Buddhism is "right association".

Thanks for explaining, mary.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:

I see you have never studied psychology. If you had you would know this is not a belief system but a fact.

Study psychology? Heck I didn't even graduate from high school and had to go to summer school to get my grade school diploma. I did however live in the "real world(not the book world)"unlike many my age. My "facts" are what I learned from living my life, and that could never be replaced by learning something in any book. A book is going to tell me facts about my life and my beliefs? I think not, especially when written by someone that has no idea what or who I am.

Now you are trying to tell me that my belief system, because it doesn't go along with the findings of some arbitrary conclusion, by people that do not know me, are facts? I familiar enough, when it comes to psychology, to know this. It is studies of the "characteristics" of an individual, but that leaves a whole lot of who a person is up to speculation and assumptions. We both know what is said by many about "assumptions" starting with the first 3 letters of the word, right?

Please, we are both smarter than that ain't we?

Well one of us is. You can't fix old and set in his ways.{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Well Sonny, I have no idea of the company you keep, they could be the greatest people on the face of the earth! I do know you though simply based on your posts. So, while you claim you can't fix old and set in his ways, obviously you can't fix ugly and full of hot air either!

Just sayin.

Gee you have me confused with somebody who cares what you think.

Just sayin.

Respected Contributor

On 3/14/2014 DustyPink said:

Wow, alot of posts have been deleted.

Only the nasty ones I see.

Well, not ALL of the nasty posts are gone. Yours are still here.

Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2014 Buck-i-Nana said: Well Sonny, I have no idea of the company you keep, they could be the greatest people on the face of the earth! I do know you though simply based on your posts. So, while you claim you can't fix old and set in his ways, obviously you can't fix ugly and full of hot air either!

Just sayin.

Gee you have me confused with somebody who cares what you think.

Just sayin.

Nope, didn't confuse you with that at all. Got exactly the response I expected. {#emotions_dlg.lol} And you claim to have studied psychology? {#emotions_dlg.lol}{#emotions_dlg.lol} Apparently you only read the chapters that apply to your own psychoses.

Honored Contributor

On 3/14/2014 Silver Lotus said:
On 3/14/2014 hckynut said:

*** "A person is known and defined by the company they keep?" ***

I can only speak for myself. I am my own person and have been since before my teen years. Been around many people from many different walks of life, and I don't agree with this "quote" as it pertains to me as a person, or as I perceive others as an individual.

Whether you wish to believe it or not that is not true. Everyone and everything you have come into contact with during your lifetime have gotten you to who and where you are today. You are the sum of your past.

I am so happy that you know who I am and my relative beliefs of others with which I associate better than I. What a special gift you have been given.

Not!

I have an MSW and I respectfully disagree with you.

Super Contributor

On 3/16/2014 terrier3 said:
On 3/14/2014 Silver Lotus said:
On 3/14/2014 hckynut said:

*** "A person is known and defined by the company they keep?" ***

I can only speak for myself. I am my own person and have been since before my teen years. Been around many people from many different walks of life, and I don't agree with this "quote" as it pertains to me as a person, or as I perceive others as an individual.

Whether you wish to believe it or not that is not true. Everyone and everything you have come into contact with during your lifetime have gotten you to who and where you are today. You are the sum of your past.

I am so happy that you know who I am and my relative beliefs of others with which I associate better than I. What a special gift you have been given.

Not!

I have an MSW and I respectfully disagree with you.

If the MSW means you can give us counselling we probably could use it lol (:

Super Contributor

I don't think this is true at all.