Respected Contributor

We've traveled with our girls for volleyball tournaments.   Sometimes the kids stay together and other times they've had to stay with us.  I know the coaches wanted them in their room and quiet at a certain time.   

I know it can get pretty rowdy when you're at a hotel with kids and their teams.  The hotel should have stepped in and quieted them down 

Honored Contributor

I've had that happen both at the hotel and on the plane.

I remember field trips from when I was in school and I like to think we were'nt like this.  I remember being loud in the room but not in the hallways or on the plane.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I still amazed!

We recently traveled as a family and stayed in 'nicer' hotel.  Not to mention names but think on the lines of Westin, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.

We quickly found out that there were several traveling teams of children staying in the hotel- all younger kids (under the age of 12-13).

It was a nightmare!!!!

Kids running and screaming, slamming doors, throwing ice until the early morning hours.

The parents/chaperons -not all but MANY were intoxicated and just as BAD!

I do not know if they thought they owned the place but it was chaos.

We called the front desk to complain several times.  We and several other guests were complaining to the management and to the parents of the children.

We tried to change hotels but they were either booked solid or had the same scenario!!

Needless to say we did not pay for our stay, but we also lost sleep.

I have to wonder if the parents realize this is how their children are being supervised during these trips or how they are acting.

This is really a safety risk, it could be hours before an adult realized a child was missing or injured.  

I am in the industry. Unfortunately, what you experienced is all too common.  Parents do not supervise their children at hotels or most public spaces.

Honored Contributor

I have never experienced this in any hotel I have every stayed in.  

Respected Contributor

Re: uggh Hotel Headache !

[ Edited ]

A friend of mine owns a company that arranges for pricing and reserves the hotel rooms for youth travel sports teams, and behavior such as the OP experienced is absolutely NOT tolerated by the company. When rooms are booked, standards of behavior are clearly outlined, and parents/guardians have to sign a form indicating that they and their athlete will abide by the standards. If they don't, there's one warning and then they're kicked out of the hotel. I had to sign the form more than once when tagging along to hockey tournaments. We had to bring the forms with us and turn them in at the hotel to get our room keys. Perhaps this was in place (of course, we have no way of knowing) and hotel personnel choose not to enforce the rules because the revenue derived from renting a large block of rooms was far greater than the cost of comping a few other folks. It's unfortunate, but $$$ talks. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Re: uggh Hotel Headache !

[ Edited ]

this happened many years ago ( I was in 4-5 grade). My parents took the family to Chicago (why can't remember). My dad booked us into a very posh hotel in center city Chicago. We had dinner that night at the hotel restaurant.  It was about midnight when all of us were bedded down, when there was singing, yelling, music in the hotel hallway between all the rooms. My parents had booked at the same hotel the Elks were having their national convention. My dad was furious about this. The whole family got NO sleep. My dad went to management the next day. Not sure just what happened but knowing my dad he may have gotten free rooms for the weekend.

my family has stayed in motels while traveling over the years and you always get the ditzbrain who is so nasty,the come in from a night of drinking and turn the volume on the t.v. Or radio up full volume.

Esteemed Contributor

This is in response to if parents realize how their children are beign supervised.  Having gone on many field trips when the kids were young, I did have a good idea at the complete lack of supervision (A teacher left a first grader behind at the pumpkin patch) so when DD went to DC in 7th grade I was sure to go.   I was the mean parent who kept track of my group and had them stay where they were supposed to be.  One night we got back on the bus and two girls were missing.  The one missing girl's mom, who was in charge of that group, ripped one of the other kids in the group for losing her daughter and her friend!   So, yeah, zero supervision.  I went on a trip called Teen Tours when I graduated from high school but a lot of the kids were earlier teens.  We went around the U.S.  Each stop, after checking into the motel, all chaperones hit the bar.  These were not parents; these were paid chaperones.  We were all minors.  That was a great trip and in retrospect, I feel awful for the other people staying where we stayed.

Respected Contributor

We had one of those Hotel nightmares. After repeated calls to the front desk and not getting any response, I called back down to the front desk and said "If you don't send up a security guard to do something about this noise, I am calling the local police!" The commotion stopped in about 15 minutes and was quiet all the rest of the night.