Respected Contributor

trouble with forwarding of mail

[ Edited ]

Have you ever had an trouble when you moved and had to have mail forwarded?

I changed the address as soon as I could and called and made changes to new address when ever possible.

Some people that sent a Christmas card got them sent back and their sticker said Unable to Forward!! A few I did get with the forwarded sticker with no trouble

There is no reason at all for this to happen. They had the old address on the envelope but it was exact so no issue there!

Also a magazine that I had a subscription to did not make it to me for the Dec issue.

I have called the PO twice and they say they will take care of it but they have not. Is there anything else to be done? Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: trouble with forwarding of mail

I have, yes.  Human error, I guess.  We moved (but still owned the other home) and I had to watch like a hawk, that we got all of our bills and statements.

Then I opened up a bank account in order to deposit funds from the proceeds of sale, when it took place (the house was in a trust) and that got mixed up.  We had other accounts at this bank and I guess it took time for the address changes all around to take effect.

Pesky attention to detail!  My advice is to just stay vigilant.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I've moved a number of times over the years and didn't have any issues.  I'm wondering if the p.o. needed more time for the change.  I don't remember the required time frame.  Were you close to it.  If it's not that, it's the p.o. goofing it up.  The old p.o. Are the folks to talk with.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It has been plenty of time for the change of address. And also they have fowarded mail but it just seems odd that at Christmas this happened with the cards being returned to people saying Unable to Forward when they had the old address, but it was on correctly and nothing wrong with it. I have called the PO twice and they say they will take care of it yet they have not!  The magazine I never got, I even called the Company and they said it was sent December first and I never got it!  It is frustrating.

Respected Contributor

Sorry you're dealing with that.

We moved in August and had our mail in PA held for about a month, then forwarded to us.   At that point the 'mail forwarding' took over.  As far as I know, it all went smoothly.  I'm not aware of missing anything.   We have no bills coming by paper mail and no subscriptions.   Anything that is important comes to us via email.

We were surprised before Nov mid terms how many political cards were forwarded to us.   They go first class so we got them here in NM  along with other 'junk' mail.  

Last year we sent xmas cards that were oversized to friends in England.   Some were delived and some came back for more postage.  I never did figure that one out.  

Honored Contributor

Mistakes happen.  Don't forget the mistakes happened during the holiday rush and you certainly know the volume of mail that the usps handles at that time of year.

Esteemed Contributor

The last time I moved, I received forwarded mail at my new address for a couple of months only.  I didn't realize at first that there was an issue because there wasn't anything in particular I had been expecting.  But then people started mentioning mail that they had sent to me.  I hadn't received any of it, and none of it had been returned to the sender.  None of it went to my old address either.  

I called the post office many times - the local post offices for both my old address and for my new address.  I also called the main US Post Office number.  Everyone promised to look into it.  Meanwhile I sent some test mail to myself, using a friend's address as the return address, then using my new address as the return address.  No mail addressed to me at my old address was ever delivered there or forwarded to me or returned to sender.  It all basically disappeared.

The issue was never resolved, and then the time period for forwarding mail was over.  I'll never know what went wrong or what had been sent to me that I never received.  I really do wish I had some advice for you.  All I can say is that I've moved several times, and this has never happened before.  Hopefully things will straighten out for you.

Super Contributor

many years ago had forwarded mail.  after a time I had to pay for it.  long ago, but I hope that is no more