Honored Contributor

I didn't order anything today but I checked the status of an order around noon and it was working fine. 

Esteemed Contributor

I was able to place an order with no problems this morning.

One thing I have noticed on my last three orders (all within the last week), I haven't been charged sales tax.  I'm not complaining, just pleasantly surprised!

Honored Contributor

Caligurll wrote:

One thing I have noticed on my last three orders (all within the last week), I haven't been charged sales tax.  I'm not complaining, just pleasantly surprised!

Were the orders through a third-party vendor?   I know that we started having to pay sales tax from Amazon a couple of years ago, but I quickly discovered that if I ordered from a third-party vendor (not in my state, of course), that I don't pay sales tax.   

I specifically keep an eye on that.  If there is a vendor with which I would feel comfortable, and I'm not in a hurry if they aren't supported by Prime, I go on ahead and save on sales tax.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: trouble with amazon

[ Edited ]

@Caligurll and @chickenbutt,

This might be helpful, from Amazon.com FAQs:

About Sales Tax

"Items sold on Amazon.com and shipped to certain states may be subject to tax.

Items sold by Amazon.com LLC, or its subsidiaries, and shipped to destinations in the following states are subject to tax:

ArizonaIllinoisMichiganNorth DakotaVirginia
CaliforniaIndianaMinnesotaOhioWashington
ColoradoKansasNevadaPennsylvaniaWest Virginia
ConnecticutKentuckyNew JerseySouth CarolinaWisconsin
FloridaMarylandNew YorkTennessee 
GeorgiaMassachusettsNorth CarolinaTexas 

Note:

• No sales tax is charged when purchasing gift cards; however, purchases paid for with gift cards may be subject to tax.
  • Items sold by Warehouse Deals LLC and shipped to destinations in Alaska are subject to local sales tax.
  • Textbooks rented from Warehouse Deals LLC and shipped to destinations in Delaware are subject to tax.

How Sales Tax is Calculated

If an item is subject to sales tax in the state to which the order is shipped, tax is generally calculated on the total selling price of each individual item. In accordance with state tax laws, the total selling price of an item will generally include item-level shipping and handling charges, item-level discounts, gift-wrap charges, and an allocation of order-level shipping and handling charges and order-level discounts.

The amount of tax charged on your order will depend upon many factors including Identity of the seller, type of item purchased, and destination of the shipment. Factors can change between the time you place an order and the time of credit card charge authorization, which could affect the calculation of sales taxes. The amount appearing on your order as Estimated Tax may differ from the sales taxes ultimately charged."

source:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=468512

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Caligurll wrote:

Were the orders through a third-party vendor?   I know that we started having to pay sales tax from Amazon a couple of years ago, but I quickly discovered that if I ordered from a third-party vendor (not in my state, of course), that I don't pay sales tax.   

I specifically keep an eye on that.  If there is a vendor with which I would feel comfortable, and I'm not in a hurry if they aren't supported by Prime, I go on ahead and save on sales tax.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt Yes, it looks like that was the case for all of my last three orders.  Thanks for the information, I couldn't figure out why some of my orders were taxed and some weren't. At 8.5% sales tax rate, it is a nice savings.

Honored Contributor

Glad the mystery is solved, Caligurll!  Smiley Happy   

Sometimes I've ordered high-ticket items, so the savings with just avoiding sales tax can be huge.  Mine is a slightly lower rate than yours (7.7-something I think), but that can add up.

I recently ordered a new laptop and I saved about $45 on just that sale.  

What the heck are some of those emoticons?  HA!  I was just looking for a thumbs-up emoticon, but I don't think any of those is that.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

Heart  Hi @dooBdoo, Thanks for all the helpful information.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I just got home, it was very strange,first time i have had that happen,i will try later.Thanks.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@alliswell wrote:

Heart  Hi @dooBdoo, Thanks for all the helpful information.

Smiley Happy

Hi, @alliswell!Heart    You're welcome!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova