Esteemed Contributor

Re: tragedy for skier bode miller and family

[ Edited ]

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Bode has a networth (on-line site) of about 8 million,

gofundme account is now at $20,000+   Really????

He lives in Cota de Caza. (I have been there) Very expenisve homes. Vicky from OC housewives lives there.

When a child is around water, extra care in watching is a necessity!

If one parent is distracted, have another adult/parent help out.

Yes, and his wife has net worth of around 1 million (on line site also).

The gofundme site says the money is to "help take the burden off of the mountainous medical bills that will soon pile in and the memorial service costs. Any amount helps."

I wonder about the medical bill part of that, I thought the baby had passed by the time authorities got there.

Makes me also wonder if what the internet shows these people are worth isn't accurate,  or they are having some other sort of fincancial issues.

Just seems very odd to me.

Honored Contributor

They probably need to out the bongs up. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Bode has a networth (on-line site) of about 8 million,

gofundme account is now at $20,000+   Really????

He lives in Cota de Caza. (I have been there) Very expenisve homes. Vicky from OC housewives lives there.

When a child is around water, extra care in watching is a necessity!

If one parent is distracted, have another adult/parent help out.

Yes, and his wife has net worth of around 1 million (on line site also).

The gofundme site says the money is to "help take the burden off of the mountainous medical bills that will soon pile in and the memorial service costs. Any amount helps."

I wonder about the medical bill part of that, I thought the baby had passed by the time authorities got there.

Makes me also wonder if what the internet shows these people are worth isn't accurate,  or they are having some other sort of fincancial issues.

Just seems very odd to me.

Net worth of one million isn't that much.  As far as medical bills, I'm thinking they would have health insurance.  Maybe the gofundme page was started by someone else?

Honored Contributor

honestly, i have no idea what their financial situation is and neither do any of us. just because a website says that they have a certain amount of money doesnt make it true. perhaps that is why someone else set the fund up? no reason why a friend of the family cannot set up a gofundme page......no one is forced to donate......a donation comes from a persons heart.

someone else mentioned it being a "pool party." i have not heard anything about it being a "pool party," just that the persons home it was held at had a pool.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

honestly, i have no idea what their financial situation is and neither do any of us. just because a website says that they have a certain amount of money doesnt make it true. perhaps that is why someone else set the fund up? no reason why a friend of the family cannot set up a gofundme page......no one is forced to donate......a donation comes from a persons heart.

someone else mentioned it being a "pool party." i have not heard anything about it being a "pool party," just that the persons home it was held at had a pool.

@sunshine45 I so understand what you're saying. I don’t understand all the “speculation” with NO ONE knowing anyone or anything about this. It’s sad in today’s world that everyone has something to say about everything not knowing anything! A family lost their beautiful child. Shame on people for pointing the finger.........!
Honored Contributor

Have the police investigated?  The drowining of 19 month old child I'd think would require some attention.

Respected Contributor

My cousin and his wife lost their 2 year old daughter to drowning in their backyard pool.  I have never seen such sadness and grief.  The wake and funeral were haunting with that baby in a white casket.

The mother stepped away to answer the phone.  I'm sure she regrets it every second of every day.

You just cannot EVER leave eyes off little children.  In fact, I wouldn't have a pool without a special fence around it, with a lock.  I don't think I'd even want the pool.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Growing up in So Cal where most everyone has a pool I never knew anyone who drowned or even near misses. Yes this was an accident but it was preventable. Someone just didn’t put the child as a priority. You are at a pool party with a small child you have that child right next to you. You don’t just get distracted.

I grew up in Orange County, and drownings are very common. I know of several people whose children have drowned. Drowning literally takes a minute or two.

According to OC Health Care Agency:

Drowning consistently remains the leading cause of death for children 1-4 years of age, and among the top five leading causes for those under the age of 18 years, both in California and in Orange County.

Also, I don't think it was a pool party. It was an indoor party, and she slipped out. I do think as a pool owner, you have a responsibility to put up alarms on all exits. Maybe these neighbors don't have kids, so they didn't think it was necessary. Even if you don't have kids, you should always have safeguards because more than likely you'll have kids at your house at some point.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

With all the people around the baby should of had a life jacket on running around the pool area. My niece cant seem to get the swimming thing don. She is 6.5. When we are at my aunts pool if we are inside and she is running around the pool she has a life vest on.