Respected Contributor

Re: tragedy for skier bode miller and family

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

Emeline Miller, Miller's daughter with his wife, Morgan Beck, was with her parents Sunday at a neighbor’s home in Orange County, California. The toddler somehow made her way to the pool and fell in.

“There was nobody in the backyard, and unfortunately the little girl found a way into the backyard and the mom did everything she could," said Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority. "As soon as she realized her daughter wasn't next to her, she went straight for the pool, pulled her out immediately, but it just goes to show you how quick a child can drown without a sound.”

https://www.today.com/parents/911-call-reveals-panic-scene-after-bode-miller-s-toddler-t130875

I guess my question is what was the Mom or Dad doing where their Little girl was off on her own and walked outside so far from them and went into the pool? What type of parent lets their baby just walk away?  It hinges on negligence. Yes it was an accident....but one that did not have to happen if the mother and Father were attentive to their child. 

From what I understand, they were all inside, and the mother was talking to someone when the little girl slipped away. It can happen in the blink of an eye. It wasn't a pool party, and everyone was inside, so I could see how she let her guard down. Anyone who says they have their eyes on their kids 100% of the time are lying. If they were by the pool then I could see blaming the parents, but they weren't, so I'm going to cut them some slack on that. The gofundme and meal train though? Tacky, especially for people who are worth millions, live in a mansion, and own multiple vacation homes and a yacht.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Bode has a networth (on-line site) of about 8 million,

gofundme account is now at $20,000+   Really????

He lives in Cota de Caza. (I have been there) Very expenisve homes. Vicky from OC housewives lives there.

When a child is around water, extra care in watching is a necessity!

If one parent is distracted, have another adult/parent help out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MyShadowLove wrote:
Such a horrible tragedy!...My heart goes out to the parents!....It is difficult enough to have to cope with the loss of a child but to also have to deal with the guilt of knowing that it could have been prevented is going to make it even more unbearable....I can't even begin to imagine the pain that they must be going through.

Yes, it could have been prevented. They had the means to have safety precautions in place around a pool. Fence, alarms, etc.

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:
Such a horrible tragedy!...My heart goes out to the parents!....It is difficult enough to have to cope with the loss of a child but to also have to deal with the guilt of knowing that it could have been prevented is going to make it even more unbearable....I can't even begin to imagine the pain that they must be going through.

Yes, it cculd have been prevented. They had the means to have safety precautions in place around a pool. Fence, alarms, etc.

@missy1 I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it was their pool.  They were at a neighbor's home for a party.

Respected Contributor

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE “ACCIDENT!” I don’t think this is a time to find fault or point the finger at anybody unless you were actually there. Even then nothing will bring this beautiful little girl back. YES, a lesson can and will be learn by this. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

I don't know the set up of the home.  How big was this party, where they were talking, where everyone was. 

I'm trying to wrap my head around how a 19 month old child walks out the door of a house where a party is taking place and no one notices that? 

I have relatives who have an inground pool and a 2 year old and 5 month old.  Every door in their house is locked when they are inside and every door has a lock up high on the door where a child would never be able to reach. But I understand this wasn't their own home.

They did not set up the GoFundMe or Meal Train.  Their nanny (I believe) did.  However both Bode and his wife linked it on their social media pages and said nothing about the money being donated.  I find that whole thing very tacky.     

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@MyShadowLove wrote:

Yes, it cculd have been prevented. They had the means to have safety precautions in place around a pool. Fence, alarms, etc.

@missy1 I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like it was their pool.  They were at a neighbor's home for a party.

@WenGirl42  It was a neighbors pool. 

I am surprised that there were no pool regulations, though, such as having a fence.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

The GoFundMe is very strange.   

I cant believe they would keep that money.   Maybe they haven’t announced what they will do with it yet

Honored Contributor

I’m sure if they weren’t wealthy or famous there would be more of an investigation.