Honored Contributor

Re: tragedy for skier bode miller and family

Very sad.....I am literally sobbing. Tragic, tragic, tragic.......and preventable.

We built an in-ground pool last October.  It is CA law that every pool accessable door, slider, etc has an alarm on it.  We are locked and loaded.  There is no way I would put my family or friends at risk.

We are even required to have alarms on 2 doors from our garages.....meaning a person would have to leave the house through a door into the garage, then there is an alarm on each door leading to the backyard.

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Trusted Contributor

As said before....so common unfortunately in Phoenix so very common.  Pools extremely common place.  Even with people outside near pools it still happens.  I have heard that a child can fall into a pool and it can  be quiet...no sound of a even a splash.  Unlike an adult.  No warning.  They can just slide right in.  Heartbreaking. 

Honored Contributor

So sad. I read this AM that 3 young children have drowned this year in SoCal (14 drownings overall). Leading cause of accidental death age 1-4 and has been for many years. If I had children, I could never bring myself to own a pool. I've seen too much already just in nursing school.

Honored Contributor

This tragedy obviously happened due to no one watching the little girl.  I was at a kids pool party once, and the Mother was watching her son all of the time.  The boy began to panic even though he had water wings on, so she jumped into the pool with clothes on, as she ddn't want him to be fearful of the water.

I think everyone with a pool should have it fenced, here it is mandatory.  I have known of three dogs that drowned in pools, one was caught under the pool cover, all could have been avoided with a fence around the pools.

I even know of two other stories involving children barely walking, one drowned in a toilet, and the other, while the parent was washing the car, drowned in the bucket of soapy water, horrific, can't imagine the Mothers ever getting those images out of their minds, and the guilt would be monumental.

Honored Contributor

@bluehost wrote:

Sunshine45: "Whatever happened, the child was NOT being watched, else, the accident wouldn't have occured. Those are simple facts, nothing more".

It does make one wonder how a 19 month old could drown.

@bluehost  I think if the child had been given swimming lessons, i.e., being taught how to turn over and float on her back, she would not have drowned.  I saw this type of lesson given to very young children, and I think it is a must for every child.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Emeline Miller, Miller's daughter with his wife, Morgan Beck, was with her parents Sunday at a neighbor’s home in Orange County, California. The toddler somehow made her way to the pool and fell in.

“There was nobody in the backyard, and unfortunately the little girl found a way into the backyard and the mom did everything she could," said Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority. "As soon as she realized her daughter wasn't next to her, she went straight for the pool, pulled her out immediately, but it just goes to show you how quick a child can drown without a sound.”

https://www.today.com/parents/911-call-reveals-panic-scene-after-bode-miller-s-toddler-t130875

I guess my question is what was the Mom or Dad doing where their Little girl was off on her own and walked outside so far from them and went into the pool? What type of parent lets their baby just walk away?  It hinges on negligence. Yes it was an accident....but one that did not have to happen if the mother and Father were attentive to their child. 

Respected Contributor

What’s sad is the family specifically asked to respect their privacy during this horrible time in their lives. Then you turn on your TV and it’s all over the news including the 911 call. Very very sad. I find in our world today there is NO RESPECT for anything.
Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
What’s sad is the family specifically asked to respect their privacy during this horrible time in their lives. Then you turn on your TV and it’s all over the news including the 911 call. Very very sad. I find in our world today there is NO RESPECT for anything.

@Naturesbeauty their loss is  going  save many many children....a sad way to give a wake up call...🙁

Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Bri63 and they will be forever. It is a terrible thing to have to deal with

They will never forgive themselves and this pain is forever.

Esteemed Contributor

Such a horrible tragedy!...My heart goes out to the parents!....It is difficult enough to have to cope with the loss of a child but to also have to deal with the guilt of knowing that it could have been prevented is going to make it even more unbearable....I can't even begin to imagine the pain that they must be going through.
~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~