Regular Contributor

Re: tragedy for skier bode miller and family

Sunshine45: "Whatever happened, the child was NOT being watched, else, the accident wouldn't have occured. Those are simple facts, nothing more".

It does make one wonder how a 19 month old could drown.

Honored Contributor

Kids are fascinated with water, it only takes a few minutes of a adult taking their attention off the child, pools have always scared me,and bodies of water.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@kze wrote:

The news report I heard said it was an indoor party.  However, the toddler was able to get out of the house.

The horrifying thought came to me - I can't imagine being the person who left the door open, allowing the toddler to exit the house.

Honored Contributor

They have so many tracker/ alarm things you can use to hopefully prevent a death from drowning now.... wrist bands alarms  the child wears.... things that float on the water of the pool and go off with the slightist disturbance on the water surface....  why these parents  and the owners of the pool  were so unprepared for the safety of the little sweet girl is just my question. 

Not of course blaming them at all.... it was just a tragic horrible mistake....

but  I just can not understand how a parent of one beautiful little girl would EVER LET HER EVEN GET AN INCH AWAY FROM  YOU.  That child would have been held on to every moment with a pool around or no pool at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

We had a pool since our kids were toddlers. They were never left alone, always had swimmies on in or near the pool. 

If someone had to use the bathroom, everyone was out of the pool and in the house. Want a snack - same thing.

Once they got older they knew the rules and did not break them as they knew they would lose privileges.

As we also belonged to a lake community, other kids were invited back to swim, however, parents also were invited to stay and watch their child.

I'm wondering if this was an indoor party, was the pool directly off the back patio? So there would be no fence or gate? Such a tragic thing, but kids do move so quickly.

Honored Contributor

Emeline Miller, Miller's daughter with his wife, Morgan Beck, was with her parents Sunday at a neighbor’s home in Orange County, California. The toddler somehow made her way to the pool and fell in.

“There was nobody in the backyard, and unfortunately the little girl found a way into the backyard and the mom did everything she could," said Capt. Steve Concialdi of the Orange County Fire Authority. "As soon as she realized her daughter wasn't next to her, she went straight for the pool, pulled her out immediately, but it just goes to show you how quick a child can drown without a sound.”

https://www.today.com/parents/911-call-reveals-panic-scene-after-bode-miller-s-toddler-t130875

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

Sad situation for all involved...the parents, the neighbors who had the party! Hard to get over this tragedy without blaming yourself, wishing you had done this or that.

Whoever made the 911 call paused for a few seconds before telling the operator what was going on. The operator had to ask again....precious seconds lost but understandable in moments of panic.They barely felt a pulse when they found her & none once the paramedics came on the scene. 

Such a beautiful girl gone too soon. RIP, sweet angel!

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SahmIam

we have no idea what type of party it was, other than a neighborhood party.

the mother, morgan beck, is currently pregnant and i seriously doubt she would be drinking or doing drugs. i would never go so far as to make those types of assumptions.

it was an accident.......preventable yes, but still a very sad accident.

@sunshine45 I didn't say she was. I was commenting about the incident that took place years ago and my opinions on it.

Whatever happened, the child was NOT being watched, else, the accident wouldn't have occured. Those are simple facts, nothing more. 

A child always pays the price for choices made by adults. 

totally agree-really no excuse for this, totally preventable-yes i guess i'm judging, but if you ever had children or been around them, especially at that age, they have to watched like a hawk--if you are any where near water they need to have on the safety bubbles on their arms or something around their waist-what a shame, no greater loss than that of a child.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

What do they need a go fund me account for? You’re negligent for not watching your child and don’t want to even pay for costs associated with her death.  

Esteemed Contributor

So sad. That poor kid -- what an awful death. And knowing no one is helping her as she's suffering...

My stomach hurt when I read it.