Honored Contributor

tragedy for skier bode miller and family

[ Edited ]

i was reading about this tragedy earlier......how very sad for the entire family.

Olympic Skier Bode Miller's 19-Month-Old Daughter Dies After Pool Accident

http://popculture.com/celebrity/2018/06/12/olympic-skier-bode-miller-19-month-old-daughter-dies-afte...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

Re: tragedy for skier bode miller and family

[ Edited ]

I posted a thread on this about 5 or 10 minutes ago but it's vanished.

Strange. 

@sunshine45 Do you mind if I post on your thread the safety information that was in my thread?

Honored Contributor

Yes, I read about this earlier today. The child and her mother were at a neighbors house. The child was under water for a couple minutes. That in itself is scary. Why didn't she have life preserver, swimmines or whatever on? Why let a toddler out of your sight?

And a Gofundme account? Living in an almost two million dollar home? Sorry for such a pessimistic view, but I have been mulling this over all day. Other points of view are welcome and will maybe make me feel differently.

Honored Contributor

@swanfeatherz wrote:

I posted a thread on this about 5 or 10 minutes ago but it's vanished.

Strange. 

@sunshine45 Do you mind if I post on your thread the safety information that was in my thread?

@swanfeatherz

of course, please do......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Yes, I read about this earlier today. The child and her mother were at a neighbors house. The child was under water for a couple minutes. That in itself is scary. Why didn't she have life preserver, swimmines or whatever on? Why let a toddler out of your sight?

And a Gofundme account? Living in an almost two million dollar home? Sorry for such a pessimistic view, but I have been mulling this over all day. Other points of view are welcome and will maybe make me feel differently.

@proudlyfromNJ  I understand.  I am not a mother, but have had the opportunity of being around little ones frequently.  You can never let them out of your sight even for a few seconds.  I won't address the Gofundme account.  This was set up by others; hopefully the Miller's will have the funds donated to an appropriate charity or prevention program.

Honored Contributor

My only comment on this topic:

I remember when a toddler drowned in the pool of a celebrity many years ago. Booze and drugs flowed freely despite it being a party for children. Nothing happened to the celebrity or the parents. I was disgusted by that outcome.

As a parent, I see not reason why you need to have booze at events for children. Nope I don't. That said, no matter WHAT the occasion, there MUST be a parent sober should there be an emergency. Your child needs emergency care and you're too drunk or too high to help in any way; tell me, how does that help the CHILD? It doesn't.  And yet, I see it all the time. In the blink of an eye, something can happen. I don't understand the mind set.

Remember, my father was an alcoholic. I've seen it all.

My heart aches for that child. And yes, I believe the death WAS preventable.

I'll say no more.

Occasional Contributor

"Sadly, the pain Miller and Beck are suffering is all too common. In the United States, drownings are the leading cause of injury death for children ages 1 to 14, and three children die every day as a result of drowning, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

"Moreover, for every child who dies from drowning, another five young victims are sent to emergency rooms, the CDC added. More than 50 percent of all people admitted to emergency rooms for near-drowning accidents need to be hospitalized for further care, including for brain damage that can result in long-term disabilities, ranging from memory problems or learning disabilities to permanent loss of basic functions. "

Safety tips for kids and pools

In addition to having pools surrounded on all four sides by fencing (and measures required in California by SB442), here’s a summary of other water safety tips recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

— Supervise children when in or around the water. Designate a responsible adult to watch young children while in the bath and all children swimming or playing in or around water. Supervisors of preschool children should provide “touch supervision” — being close enough to reach the child at all times.

— Teach children to swim. Formal swimming lessons can protect young children from drowning. However, even when children have had formal swimming lessons, they still need constant, careful supervision when in or around bodies of water.

— Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Using CPR can save someone’s life in the time it takes for paramedics to arrive.

— Don’t use air-filled or foam toys as safety devices. “Water wings,” “noodles” or inner tubes are no substitute for life jackets in keeping young swimmers safe.

— Don’t drink alcohol while supervising children in or near water.

— Pool fences should be four-sided and stand at least 4 feet high. Use self-closing and self-latching gates that open outward with latches that are out of reach of children. The CDC also recommends other barriers, including alarms and automatic door locks.

— After using the pool, immediately clear the water and deck of floats, balls and toys so children aren’t tempted to enter the area unsupervised."

mercurynews.com/2018/06/12/drowning-of-bode-millers-toddler-daughter-highlights-pool-dangers-for-kids/

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam

we have no idea what type of party it was, other than a neighborhood party.

the mother, morgan beck, is currently pregnant and i seriously doubt she would be drinking or doing drugs. i would never go so far as to make those types of assumptions.

it was an accident.......preventable yes, but still a very sad accident.

Respected Contributor

I heard about this earlier.  Such a tragedy!  My heart goes out to the family.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@SahmIam

we have no idea what type of party it was, other than a neighborhood party.

the mother, morgan beck, is currently pregnant and i seriously doubt she would be drinking or doing drugs. i would never go so far as to make those types of assumptions.

it was an accident.......preventable yes, but still a very sad accident.

@sunshine45 I didn't say she was. I was commenting about the incident that took place years ago and my opinions on it.

Whatever happened, the child was NOT being watched, else, the accident wouldn't have occured. Those are simple facts, nothing more. 

A child always pays the price for choices made by adults.