Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It just goes to show you that some people today just can't be honest. I don't know if they think it reflects on their expertise if they question you about the car or what.  

@blackhole99

What was dishonest about the original story?

And what did they question?

@sidsmom  What I got out of that post was, the mechanic did not know how to start the vehicle or get the hub cap off the car, etc. How hard would it be just to ask the customer instead of bull sh---ing your way through. If he was not familiar with that model car, he should have been honest with the customer.

‘Dishonest’ usually means a ruse of some sort.

Not knowing is much, much different than being dishonest.

In fact, being dishonest is knowing something for gain.

There was nothing to gain by the mechanic openly saying he didn’t know.

Honored Contributor

I also only go to my car dealership.  They always do a nice  job....   local garages hire ..well... who knows who. 

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

It just goes to show you that some people today just can't be honest. I don't know if they think it reflects on their expertise if they question you about the car or what.  

@blackhole99

@sidsmom  What I got out of that post was, the mechanic did not know how to start the vehicle or get the hub cap off the car, etc. How hard would it be just to ask the customer instead of bull sh---ing your way through. If he was not familiar with that model car, he should have been honest with the customer.

@blackhole99- Gist of it is that some older cars came with two separate keys.  One for the engine and one for the trunk.  I believe hubcaps locks are after market.  Not every car has them or hubcaps.  The OP could have said this engine and this is key to the hubcaps.  I don't think the mechanic was trying to get over on the OP.  Someone asked the year of the car and the OP hasn't responded.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99

@blackhole99- Gist of it is that some older cars came with two separate keys.  One for the engine and one for the trunk.  I believe hubcaps locks are after market.  Not every car has them or hubcaps.  The OP could have said this engine and this is key to the hubcaps.  I don't think the mechanic was trying to get over on the OP.  Someone asked the year of the car and the OP hasn't responded.

@qbetzforrealas usual, everyone has put their own spin on this post.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

@blackhole99

@qbetzforrealas usual, everyone has put their own spin on this post.

@blackhole99- so true, so true

Honored Contributor

Touché

Honored Contributor

T

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I think it is not possible for a mechanic to be an expert on every make and model. If this young man had little experience, I would have asked for a manager to take a look at the car and the kid could learn from him. Always use our dealership now for our maintenance and repairs....I am sure it is more expensive but they want us to be repeat buyers so they do their best to take care of us.

@lovesrecess

I’m the same way....dealership 100%.

It’s worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover

May I ask what make and year your car is?  I'm pretty old and I don't remember ever having a car with a separate trunk key.  But maybe it's just my memory that's bad.  To be honest, I haven't had a car with an actual key in well over 10 years.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

My car only has an engine key.  Everything else works with a button on the door and on the fob.