Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

Are people in the US actually fighting over TP  or just going to a store and  finding it empty and then going someplace else.

Some people can't have stuff delivered because it would be taken off their porch before they got home from work. 

I sure didn't see anyone fighting over it, it wasn't there to fight over last night, lol.

Now, today, I was buying a lot at the Dollar General, but there was plenty of it, there were other shoppers there buying it, we were all polite and left plenty for the ones who were coming in later.

Respected Contributor

I went to Costco, Target, Walmart and Publix and NO toilet tissue of any kind.   DDIL lives 45 minutes from me and is stocking up for me.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE @Those catalogues mustn't have had glossy pages back then.

Valued Contributor

What is the deal with the TP?  Haven't heard that diarrhea is a symptom, so WTH?

Honored Contributor

Re: toilet paper

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

I guess I'm wondering if anyone who finds themselves short of any given simple thing during this event (acknowledging that we cannot prepare for everything), will actually learn from it, and choose to not let it happen again. 

I doubt that most will. 

I have. I wasn't short, as I had 5 double rolls in the bathroom closet. But if we get quarantined or sick, or it becomes widespread in this area, I won't want to go to town, and I don't want to run out. I have learned that I am going to try to keep a better stockpile of tp and some other things as well. I usually have extra rice and oatmeal, canned foods, frozen foods. So I am good there.

I did buy some powdered milk, which I used to keep on hand, but got out of the habit of that. I think when my kids were home I just had more on hand.

@happycat 

I get you on the 'when the kids were home' thing! LOL

I stopped stocking much of some things when we became empty nesters, and powdered milk was one of those things. I rarely used it, but living rural, it was great in a pinch for cooking and baking when not wanting to take the half hour trip to the store. 

I probably have a vacuum sealed jar or two in the basement if I really looked, but I bet it's ten years old by now at least. It was always fat free, which is supposed to last a long time, but I'm not sure on top of a possible virus, I want to try even powdered milk that old! LOL

Honored Contributor

That's why I bought 2 cases with 80 rolls each. I knew this was coming. There's more also coming.

I also live in a small area so I know things will be hard to get. I was already ordering stuff online before Coronavirus.

I started stocking up the minute I heard about this.

Hope you find some TP. You might try ordering it online but heard some places are limiting it online too.

Honored Contributor

Guess there should be no problem getting tp. Found this info on Snopes.

100 rolls a year

The average person in the U.S. uses about 100 rolls of toilet paper each year. If most of it came from China, this could be a huge problem because supply chains from that country have been severely disrupted as a result of COVID-19.

The U.S., however, imports very little toilet paper – less than 10% in 2017. And most of that comes from Canada and Mexico.

The U.S. has been mass producing toilet paper since the late 1800s. And while other industries like shoe manufacturing have fled the country, toilet paper manufacturing has not. Today there are almost 150 U.S. companies making this product.

Honored Contributor

@happycat 

I just read an article that says there is no tp shortage. 

It's off the shelves right now because of the panic.

Call the store you shop to find out when their truck with tp will be in. You may have to get there early since some people will still be in a panic.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@kitcat51 wrote:

My local stores are fully stocked with tp & several brands are on sale... plenty of wipes, bleach, hand sanitizer, etc. too.

@kitcat51 - be aware that when the shortage hits, it hits very fast.  

yeah, don't know where she lives at. I'm in relatively small city of amarillo, tx and all the walmarts don't have a sheet of t paper on the shelves. I outfoxed 'em and ran to Loew's and bought the cheap off brand called

Moxie, told DH, not what we're used too , but, we may be glad to have it soon. they have called off NBA, hockey, bunch of stuff, now, hope they cut off baseball hahahahhaa won't have to listen to that racket all summer

LOL

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@SharkE @Those catalogues mustn't have had glossy pages back then.

Bought my wedding dress from Alden's cost me all of 20-25.00 LOL

That would had been 1972. LOL