Esteemed Contributor

Re: toddler falls from cruise ship

[ Edited ]

@SahmIam  They slide.

Close up of an open window - you can kind of see how it slides by the darker color green. (Two windows, with one on top of the other.)

CA132DA9-BF60-492A-99F0-49FC0105185E.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

In the first place, an 18 month old toddler does not belong on a cruise ship. Common sense isn't very common anymore.

Why wouldn't they belong on a cruise ship?  Families travel with children all over the world...

@Bri369, I personally wouldn't take an 18 month old on a cruise ship.  I'm not sure what they would get out of it because there isn't much for them to do.  I also can't imagine it would be the greatest for the parents either because in the evening, they'd pretty much be confined to their cabin.  Play areas close fairly early on ships and night time activities are adult themed.

I wouldn't either.  Even more than most places, children of that age would need to have adult eyes on them every single minute.  And - as you said - I'm not sure how much fun it would be for them.  I also don't imagine that it would be very enjoyable for the parents.  Watching a toddler every second on a crowded ship is exhausting.  That doesn't sound like a vacation to me.

In any case, this is clearly a terrible tragedy.  The heartbreak must be unbearable.

Esteemed Contributor

The more stories I read about this horrible tragedy and viewing the pictures leads me to believe that Royal Caribbean would have no legal responsibility.

Every article clearly says that the child was lifted onto the railing.  The child didn't lft herself, crawl or climb.  The grandfather proactively lifted the girl.

Without the lift and assistance from the grandfather, this wouldn't have happened.  I certainly don't believe it was intentional, but he was negligent.

Clearly, to me, this is not the company's fault at all.  Even the family lawyer states that the girl was lifted.  Probably should have kept quiet.

Respected Contributor

I agree with you JohnnyEager. Trying to place the blame on the cruise ship only makes things look worse for the grandfather. I do understand the family, in their grief, wanting to strike out at anything or anyone other than themselves. Had it been me who had caused the death of my granddaughter, I would have followed her.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego  Thank you! Would never have occured to me that they slided. Now it's even more obvious that one can tell they're open. ******.

Honored Contributor

I feel sick.

Honored Contributor

@countrylady 

Oh, yeah.  That's definitely going to happen.  However,  they said on the news yesterday that cruise ships have cameras all over the place.  Every section is monitored and there was bound to be 24/7 filming of the area where this happened but since it is still under police investigation; only the police will have access to it until the investigation is complete.  

Trusted Contributor

@Georgiagrama
@Johnnyeager

I must agree with you both, based on the evidence I have read: The grandfather is probably legally responsible for this accident, since he did lift her up and gave her access to an open window...
Seeking a multi-million dollar settlement from a cruise line will not bring this little soul back. I agree the family is looking for someone to blame for this horror, rather than hold their own family member responsible.
@ Retired 08 The last line of your post is so powerful, I had to read it several times to make sure I understood your meaning. I do think the guilt would kill me if I had killed my own grandchild, even by tragic accident. I pray this family can recover.
Respected Contributor

If witnesses saw the grandfather swinging this kid I wonder where the parents were? 

This will be very interesting when the camera tapes can be released after the investigation is completed.  Jeez  its just awful.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

This tragedy would not have happened if the grandfather had not placed the child up at the level of the window.  Pure and simple...lack of judgement.  They can sue the company all they want, but the grandfather is responsible for the pain this family will endure forever.  So sad for all.....